Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Wagon centre bearing worn

mike_nofx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
Im pretty certain the centre driveshaft bearing/rubber in my SS wagon is worn, but thought I'd just double check with you guys on here.

There has been a slight vibration at speeds above 120km/h so I decided to have a look at the centre bearing. It has quite a lot of movement when I pry the driveshaft to the side with a pinch bar, but I'm just unsure how much play is too much. The rubber all still appears intact, I've had a Falcon where the centre bearing rubber was totally collapsed and you could actually see through it.

Anyway, as I said, fairly certain it needs replacement.

Can the bearing be replaced easy enough at home, or should I just save the hassle and take it to a workshop?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I had mine replaced the VR ute by a mech. I removed the shaft and had the bloke fit the new bearing I supplied. For 100 bucks including fitting two new unis again I supplied it was money well spent IMO.
However I had to get it done twice though as the first place may not have fitted the unis properly as it went bang after it had been repaired. But the second bloke was brill and he was 40 bucks cheaper. I have seen Youtube vids on replacing a VE one. Advice I will say is buy a gen bearing, most of the aftermarket stuff is ****, which also may or may not have been the cause of the failure after the first rebuild. I will never know as the uni was fucked along with the bearing when it went the second time. Too many variables for me to go back so I copped it and even bought a replacement shaft from the wreckers to get rebuilt rather than risk the old shaft having problems again.