Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE WM NOISE IN REAR

LE Monaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice
Hi all, after all my headaches I thought id best share this information for others. I brought a 2008 WM Caprice and it was lowered to the point that it hardly had any suspension travel. I replaced the front and rear shocks, the front top strut mount bushes, and fitted standard height Springs. The car has only done 100000 km and I was expecting it to be nice and tight for raffles etc. It had a noise in the back that sounded like something was loose and tapping on the floor pan, I would only hear it when I went over say a railway line or a reasonable bump in the road, it wasn't there all the time. It was definitely a metal on metal sound. After pulling out the rear seat and going through the boot for the obvious things like spare wheels loose batteries etc I had no choice but to pull out the rear k frame. I checked everything and couldn't see a proble. On the rear upper control arms there are two bushes each side, they're not your normal rubber with a feral in the centre rubber bush they are more like a ball joint type bush. I check them with my hands and even put a screwdriver in them to get movement but they didn't seem to have any fault. I put the k-frame back in and took the car to Pedders who checked it and said they couldn't find the problem. I had no choice but to buy the two outer ball joints from them and the inner two from Holden and take the punt that they were the problem. I pulled the k frame out for the second time and fitted the joints and to my surprise The rattle was gone. Hope this post save someone all the headaches I had. Cheers

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Thanks for the info.
I've got something similar happening in my 07 WM (but it has 272k on it....)
I'll try swapping the bushes and see if it fixes mine too.

LE Monaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice
Pedders sell the 2 outer joints 50 each, but I had buy the 2 inners from Holden 110 each trade.
I really thought that the k frame had cracked somewhere because it was so low and the broken bits were banging.
With the seat out and my wife driving and my head in the boot from the back seat I could hear it was coming from both sides. It was clearly two independent noises, but identical noises.
Good luck and let me know