Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE z series - tyre wear (not what you think)

tommyk123

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp commodore ute
Hi all,

At a big of a loss on this one, can't seem to figure it out....

So about 6 months ago, washing the car and have about 90% tread on front tyres (all 4 tyres were 6 months old). Check the back and boom centre of the tyre is bald... completely.

I check pressure weekly as I drive alot and run manual specs 36psi on stock z series tyres 245 45 19.

Took the car into Bob Jaynes and they told me it was over Inflsted, which was BS. So anyway they recommend I buy a digital tyre gauge because servos gauges suck.

They put my old front tyres to the back, and put new ones on the front. And I check the tyres each week with the gauge and run 36psi.

Fast forward 6 months the rear tyres are wearing out on the centre again.....and it's not due to over inflation.

So I've lowered the psi to 32 and it's seemed to slow the wear bit I can tell its still going down in the centre and the outside isn't wearing.

Any thoughts? **** brand of tyre (Mind you they were $200 each) they've done a fair few km and laster about 18 months but still they're wearing really wierd.

Thanks

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Too many burnouts?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I run 40 on my VE and tyres are even front and rear. Falken 914 X 18s factory wheels. I pump regularly to 42 then use my own gauge next morning when things are cool and adjust to 40.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
I ran my Goodyear Eagles pumped to 36 all round,comphy ride, even wear,no probs.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hi all,

So about 6 months ago, washing the car and have about 90% tread on front tyres (all 4 tyres were 6 months old). Check the back and boom centre of the tyre is bald... completely.

I check pressure weekly as I drive alot and run manual specs 36psi on stock z series tyres 245 45 19.

Took the car into Bob Jaynes and they told me it was over Inflsted, which was BS. So anyway they recommend I buy a digital tyre gauge because servos gauges suck.

They put my old front tyres to the back, and put new ones on the front. And I check the tyres each week with the gauge and run 36psi.

Fast forward 6 months the rear tyres are wearing out on the centre again.....and it's not due to over inflation.

So I've lowered the psi to 32 and it's seemed to slow the wear bit I can tell its still going down in the centre and the outside isn't wearing.

Any thoughts? **** brand of tyre (Mind you they were $200 each) they've done a fair few km and laster about 18 months but still they're wearing really wierd.

Thanks

It honestly seems like a tyre pressure issue....The pointer is, you lowered the pressure and the wear has slowed and it is quite possible the gauge you are using is reading incorrectly....ie over pressure for what is actually in the tyre

Sharon need help

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU11 HOLDEN COMMODORE 5.7litre LS1 GEN111 UTE
Hi all,

Thanks
I run 39 psi in my tyres. It sounds like the camber needs adjusting try that and see how you go

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
It sounds like the camber needs adjusting try that and see how you go

Camber has nothing to do with the tyres wearing in the middle of the tread
Tread wear in the centre of the tyre is caused by over inflation

tyre wear.jpg

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride