Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE11 GarageTune up Quote

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by Poundy, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Poundy

Poundy New Member

Members Ride:
    VE11 3.0 Berlina
    Hi Guy's
    I am currently overseas for a couple of years or so and my son is in Tas using the VE11 2012 Commodore 3.0 Berlina I left behind with him. We usually have a general service once a year by an independent Cooper garage who have served us well over many years, even with changing staff.
    My son has just had it serviced again and all good, $250 plus a wiper and GST am happy with that.
    When he collected the car they presented him with this work required quote, the car has done 116,000k so I presume this is probably a normal requirement at this stage. I just wanted some views before biting the bullet, Thanks for any input.

Attached Files:

2. dgp

dgp Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SSV Redline
    The engine does not need a tune and probably does not need fuel injectors cleaned, however, I know the 120k service on a VF V6 runs about $650 due to plugs being replaced.

3. rambunctious

rambunctious Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Wagon
    Between now and Christmas, Autobarn and others sell injector clean at around $2 a bottle, so half bottle in one tank full, then other half bottle in next tank full of fuel will save the cost of an expensive injector clean, which, I agree with dgp, is probably not needed.

Plugs, and of course, the necessary plenum gasket, are a good idea, although if the car is not showing any signs of poor performance/missing, can easily be pushed out to 140-150,000 k's, at which time coils may probably also need to be done.

Please understand this is an opinion and not fact, but is in keeping with servicing of my own vehicle.

4. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    Dunno what they mean by tune, but spark plugs is a plenum off job, so a fair chunk of that is likely labour and Iridiums. Doubt they would actually clean the injectors any better or "tune" anything though. You'd probably get as much of an injector clean running a tank of 98.

Second option is likely the same as the first, maybe your T/B would come out a little shinier but I doubt there would be any other difference.

5. NZ-GTR

NZ-GTR Member

Members Ride:
    Ignition Orange SSV
    Prevention is better than the cure. Take the risk away and tell son he's paying for it :D

Poundy likes this.
  6. Poundy

Poundy New Member

Members Ride:
    VE11 3.0 Berlina
    Thanks for the Comments, It appears that $470 isn't deemed over the top for Plugs, Gasket and Air filter then.
    The other $180 which is for an on board injector clean and throttle body clean is probably debatable but seeing as the car's done 116k
    and the prices are ball park I will most likely get it fixed.
    Wish I could get away with NZ-GTR's suggestion but it just will not happen :eek:

NZ-GTR likes this.
  7. lout

lout Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VX Executive S2
    the quote shows what should be done $470 and what they hope they can get away with $650

VS_Pete likes this.
  8. VTS5

VTS5 TechJunkie

Members Ride:
    VE OMEGA
    Wow... Parts must be very expensive over there:eek: Because I know what they worth(in trade).

lmoengnr likes this.
  9. Poundy

Poundy New Member

Members Ride:
    VE11 3.0 Berlina
    True, this is all stuff I would have done myself up until about 5 years ago, having done major work on my previous cars and bikes. I can appreciate the benefits of a proper injector and throttle body clean, and at 116k will probably get it all done. It was just the cost that made me gulp a bit lol!

10. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    Doubt they'd be much different in Tas (or even in the UK for that fact). Most of it is likely labour because of having to remove the plenum to get to the plugs (and the Iridium plugs are usually at least $20ea to average Joe). Average mechanic labour price these days seems to be about $100p/h. Wish you actually got $100 worth of service tho.

I'm still of the opinion you won't get $180 of benefit for the T/B and injector clean.