Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vegemite banned in US

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Yea it's the same thing. Given to pregnant women as deficiencies of Folic Acid is a major cause of Megaloblastic Anaemia and Neaural Tube defects such as Spina Bifida. Anaemia is basically the lack of red blood cells in the blood. Red blood cells transport the oxygen. White blood cells are basically our immune system. I think the yanks want to protect themselves from over dosing on Folate lol. I wonder what the effects are......? It has to be worse then clogging up your arteries with burger king and deep fried mars bars. lmao. Vegemite has 50% of your RDI of folate then it naturally occurs in meats and vegies. God knows? Never could understand those trigger happy............

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Yep, excess consumption is the issue or more accurately the rules governing addition written to avoid the effects of excess consumption. Folate is water soluable so any excess is pissed away but may mask deficiency in other B group vitamins. B12, for one, is necessary for folate to be used as they are part of different steps in the same biological pathways.

Folate is added to bread (among other things) in the US. It has been suggested that the same occur in Aust and NZ. They, Aust. and NZ, both operate under the same rules for food - Food Standards Australia and NZ = FSANZ. One of the problems with any nutrient fortification is that consumption levels vary between consumers. One person may eat one slice of bread per week, another, half a loaf per day. Who do you set the fortification level for?

Folate is a 'co-enzyme' biologically involved in amino acid, and hence protein, metabolism/catabolism. The effects of deficiency have already been covered.

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
OMG, listen to you people, saying how fat americans are, taken a look in your own backyard lately? So many fatass lazy aussies around it isnt funny.
Exactly, Australia is also one of the fattest nations in the world, I think we rank in the top 5, and America is 1st or 2nd.

Overly 33% of Australians are overweight, with a further 20% being obese.

That said though, having been to America many times, the food they sell there is far less healthy than what is on australian shelves, fresh produce is a rare thing in their supermarkets.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Just as well the yanks ban vegimite.
If they really liked it they would come and take it all with a few big bombs.

And yes we should ban the yank fast food chains as well - fix the fat problem very quickly.

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
is it just me or are kids forgetting that an outside world does exist?

do kids still play road cricket (you know get all the kids on the street and a few wheelie bins) i havn't seen this played since i last did it in gr8, what about running around the streets with a bucket and sponge washing cars for $2 (small) and $5 (large) just so you could go buy water bombs and spend the day running around everywhere sconning your mates!

i think we need to get these days back, throw out the tv, sell the xbox and boot your kids outside.

come to think of it pedophiles can be blamed for this in a way, no one wants there kids to run the streets because of fear of abduction of rock spiders.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
is it just me or are kids forgetting that an outside world does exist?

do kids still play road cricket (you know get all the kids on the street and a few wheelie bins) i havn't seen this played since i last did it in gr8, what about running around the streets with a bucket and sponge washing cars for $2 (small) and $5 (large) just so you could go buy water bombs and spend the day running around everywhere sconning your mates!

i think we need to get these days back, throw out the tv, sell the xbox and boot your kids outside.

come to think of it pedophiles can be blamed for this in a way, no one wants there kids to run the streets because of fear of abduction of rock spiders.

Road cricket is still very active in my corner of the world, navigating the streets safely on a summer evening can be downright tricky.

Shifty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Almost Turbo
Road cricket is still very active in my corner of the world, navigating the streets safely on a summer evening can be downright tricky.

Same here, and its hard to keep ya car dint-free here..

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Agree with heeno... society is fear-driven today. You only need to turn on the news to know that. Americanism of Australia is one of my pet peeves. We should get rid of KFC, hungry jacks, mcdonalds, etc... even subway can be deceptively bad for you if you dont think carefully about your choices.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Agree with heeno... society is fear-driven today. You only need to turn on the news to know that. Americanism of Australia is one of my pet peeves. We should get rid of KFC, hungry jacks, mcdonalds, etc... even subway can be deceptively bad for you if you dont think carefully about your choices.

Yeah, we should stick to getting fat the traditional aussie way, beer, meat pies and sausage sangas. ;)

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
My wife and I just got back from the USA on Friday after spending 4 weeks there on our honeymoon. Being there first hand is a real eye opener that you need to see for yourself. It's a beautiful country. You just need to see beyond the rude people. We did New York, Niagra Falls (on the Canadian side), Nashville, Memphis, Alabama, Atlanta and San Francisco. Just going from New York state across into Canada was like a whole new world. Everyone in Canada was friendly and smiled and pleasant. One place we went to in Atlanta for breakfast we said "thank you" to the waitress and she was so taken back. Her exact reply was "Oh my god, no one has ever said thank you to me before". After the first week my wife and I ordered salad every chance we got. We stayed with some friends in Alabama for a few days and their kids came home after school and said that day their teacher taught them that Australia's population consisted of 99% British decendants and 1% aboriginal. Yeah right! Maybe before World war II!

A few other interesting pointers is that Fosters in the USA is classed as a premium import beer. I bought one at a New York Yankees game and it cost me $9US, and it's made in Canada.

You can get a Jack Daniels and coke in Nashville for as little as $1.50

Once you've been there you'll never complain about Australia's economy or tax system. Particularly in Canada. We got a $50 meal in Niagra Falls. Included in the bill was a GST, and PST (whatever that is), a Liquor tax and a Food tax. out of $8 of that $50 was just tax.

If you go there, do whatever you can to avoid travelling on a Greyhound bus. I could go into some interesting stories about the people and the buses but I dont have the time.

Finally flying domestic within the US is rediculously expensive!

Don't get me wrong, we both had a great time, but it makes you really appreciate that we live in the greatest country in the world.