Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vehicle Modifications

Taso

Reaction score
Members Ride
R33 GTS-t
there's a bit of confusion over how vehicle regulations work in australia.

ADRs apply to vehicle design rules for new car makers and importers. they don't directly apply to owners.

state vehicle standards do apply to owners. all (as far as i know) state standards require a vehicle to continue to comply with relevant ADRs (those that applied when it was built).

but basically rules for mods are applied at the state level. (a national code of practice is supposed to harmonise this but the states still have to pick it up in their own regs. and may make changes)

I've actually heard that this is not the case. For example when u import a car, everything must basically be stock, no exaust no POD filter for compliance.

However after depending on what state u live, a POD filter is ok

nEb.

Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VY II Acclaim
i hate vic roads .. they have this MASSIVE website with all this junk on it but ****!!!!! they cant simply place an FAQ section, can anyone help me please, whats the go with the roadworthiness of wheel size, is it still 2" from the stock size? or has it changed these days?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
download this: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf

read section 8 on page 3, clearly says "the overall diameter of any replacement rim and tyre must not be:

more than 15mm greater than largest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series;or

more than 15mm less than the smallest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series

theres more in there, but that pretty much sums up wheel diameter, go whatever diameter wheel you want, as long as the overall diameter isnt 15mm more or less than stock tyre diameters.

robbo10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK/SL 3.3l AUTO SED.
Just think. The ADR'S, they're those things that gave us rear bumper tail lights on Four wheel drives.
Everybody watches the ones you can see on the back of the 4wd in front of them don't they, they're at eye height and can't be missed. The ones that are working are down out of sight almost, in the bumper. Car companies spend millions on lighting systems and making them effective as well as look reasonable so why don't they have them working. When are they going to wake up, the one's in the bumpers should be extra to the one's that work. That would be a great step forward in reducing prangs right there.

Old Legislation in Victoria stated that if something was fitted to a vehicle it had to work. If it was illegal to fit, it had to be removed, that was it. Our brilliant ADR invokers could learn a hell of a lot from old legislation. They obviously seem to think, in their delusional state, that they know better. It may not be such a great thing, to have all the vehicle Mods controlled by these people, going on past performances.

robbo10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK/SL 3.3l AUTO SED.
Thanks for a great job Minux.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
I heard an interesting argument being made today. A guy was telling me that ADR's only apply to new cars, so Holden, Toyota etc have to be fully ADR compliant when bringing in a new model.

He said ADR's don't apply to cars that are already on the market. Ie. Cars already on the roads aren't judged by ADR's, so when it comes to cars already bought, ADR's are not relevant.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I heard an interesting argument being made today. A guy was telling me that ADR's only apply to new cars, so Holden, Toyota etc have to be fully ADR compliant when bringing in a new model.

He said ADR's don't apply to cars that are already on the market. Ie. Cars already on the roads aren't judged by ADR's, so when it comes to cars already bought, ADR's are not relevant.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Lets look at it this way. If i buy a red car from Holden, after it is not a new car coming out of the factory is it no longer red?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
Lets look at it this way. If i buy a red car from Holden, after it is not a new car coming out of the factory is it no longer red?

It's still red, but the car won't be judged by the same stringent standards by which Holden were judged when designing and releasing the car.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
It's still red, but the car won't be judged by the same stringent standards by which Holden were judged when designing and releasing the car.

Try arguing that point to such places as EPA, Vicroads, Engineers, Police etc.

The car HAS to stay ADR compliant, otherwise it isn't roadworthy.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm not arguing, I'm just conveying an argument made to me and trying to assess its credibility. I can see how to some extent it might apply.

Has anyone got any literature stating that cars must always remain ADR compliant? Not Roadworthy compliant or anything else, but ADR.