Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vehicle registration after L67 motor swap into an N/A VT

chrismoddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 M6 and VT-S L67 M5
Hi All,

Sorry cant find much on here about it.

Has anyone here fitted an L67 S/C motor into a N/A Commodore and had any drama's updating the registration details to reflect the new engine number?

Has anyone done this and if so did you have to get a engineer cert or go over the pits or anything like that? or were you able to take it to a standard inspection station for the change of details?

If it helps, the engine swap was a VX L67 Supercharged engine fitted to a VT factory non supercharged sedan.

I know states will differ so I'm in the A.C.T if that helps?

Cheers

chrismoddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks _R_J_K_ for the quick reply.

Yes, it's looking like it should be a simple change of details update.

I'll ring the RTA tomorrow and confirm as I've had mixed answers from different rego inspectors.

Cheers

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
here in victoria we have to pay rta 50 or 60 dollar appointment for a viv certificate basicly just says the rta has been notified of engine swap as long as engine is not stolen or engine numbers cant be seen you should be good

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
here in victoria we have to pay rta 50 or 60 dollar appointment for a viv certificate basicly just says the rta has been notified of engine swap as long as engine is not stolen or engine numbers cant be seen you should be good
Don’t need to pay anything here in vic. Just change of details form and they’ll sight engine number on the spot - no appt necessary. VIV is something different altogether and costs more like $500-800 and is required when trying to remove car from WOVR.

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
well thats what i was told recently too by vic roads and i did have to pay for an appointment as i recently did a vt v6 to super 6 conversion may of miss heard what it was called but did pay $50-$60 appointment to notify vicroads of engine change and it has to be an appointment as the have to come out and sight the new engine number not just one supplyed to them

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
well thats what i was told recently too by vic roads and i did have to pay for an appointment as i recently did a vt v6 to super 6 conversion may of miss heard what it was called but did pay $50-$60 appointment to notify vicroads of engine change and it has to be an appointment as the have to come out and sight the new engine number not just one supplyed to them

and that was befor doing a RWC to register the car

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Sounds like you got somebody that didn’t know what they were talking about. Need to pay that fee for new registrations, not for simple change of details.

chrismoddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the responses guys.

After calling the transport authority today they've confirmed as above. Being a factory optioned engine for my make and model I can just go to any inspection station in the ACT and have them sight the engine number and complete the change of ownership details for me. For me to then attend the shopfront and have my new papers printed. No fee or appointment mentioned at this stage (ACT)

Cars already registered in my name so no need for a road worthy but if I have to pay a small fee at some stage then I dont mind.

The only thing that slightly worries me is that the cars a manual and the L67 didn't come with a manual box behind it but I'm sure it will be right.

Hopefully the thread helps anyone that's thinking of doing the conversion and want's to update rego details.

Cheers

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The only thing that slightly worries me is that the cars a manual and the L67 didn't come with a manual box behind it but I'm sure it will be right.

Drives okay and everything? Did you just get a memcal made up or did you do something else ECU wise?