Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vehicle Registration Costs

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
rego fees should be based on a user pays system added to the price of fuel, fairer system then for everyone who uses the roads.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Why don't they add the cost of it to driver's licenses not vehicle registration? Makes infinitely more sense.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I pay $130 per year for a 6cyl car......Can only drive it 90 days per year though..:) Buy the car unregistered, transfer into your name and pay no stamp duty or other associated costs.:)

Memory serves me correctly, it costs $220 for 3 months for a 6 cylinder.....No roadworthies....Car can be out of rego for years and just walk in, pay your coin and drive it on the road.

I lived in QLD 25 or so years ago.....I could get a roadworthy by walking into the local shop, with engine number and chassis number in hand, pay my $25 (I think that was the price) and walk out with the roadworthy in my hand.....The car was still sitting at home....

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Why don't they add the cost of it to driver's licenses not vehicle registration? Makes infinitely more sense.

So it would cost $5000 for a licence since it is done every 10 years.

We have a saying here in NZ... Yeah Right!

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
It would make more sense if the cost of registration also covered basic third party insurance , if you didn't have insurance already , for me it's $88 for 12 months for both cars , down from close to $ 300 , they changed rules here to reflect the vehicles saftey ratings, so more stars the cheaper it gets .

R

Risky

Why can't they make silly/stupid drivers pay more and for those who aren't make it cheaper.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
It would make more sense if the cost of registration also covered basic third party insurance , if you didn't have insurance already , for me it's $88 for 12 months for both cars , down from close to $ 300 , they changed rules here to reflect the vehicles saftey ratings, so more stars the cheaper it gets .

That's basically how it happens in Qld. You pay the Motor Registry one sum for both rego and CTP, it's just the CTP is handled by an outsourced company which you get to choose at the time of purchase.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
That's basically how it happens in Qld. You pay the Motor
Registry one sum for both rego and CTP, it's just the CTP is handled by an outsourced company which you get to choose at the time of purchase.

That's the way it was in NSW until the mid 80's. One big bill and no 6 month option to break the cost up.