Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vehicle Speed Sensor

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Check powertrain light came on in the Commode, and the car does not know when to change gears. No speedometer, but the rest of the dash works fine. No codes on Torque Pro.

Can the vehicle speed sensor crap itself? I pulled it out for a look. You wonder what could go wrong. Wiring loom seems fine on visual inspection.

Thoughts or similar experience, anyone?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Check powertrain light came on in the Commode, and the car does not know when to change gears. No speedometer, but the rest of the dash works fine. No codes on Torque Pro.

Can the vehicle speed sensor crap itself? I pulled it out for a look. You wonder what could go wrong. Wiring loom seems fine on visual inspection.

Thoughts or similar experience, anyone?
Speed sensor is in the tranny. How did you test it?

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I haven't yet. I just pulled it out so far to see if there was something stuck to it or cracked or broken wire or whatnot.

Gonna need Youtube to figure out how, cause it looks like the day it was put in.

Gotta test the wiring loom too. Just checking it out now.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
1652587869521.png

Step 7 is replace the sensor. They are just $17 from eBay if you search for '4l60e vehicle speed sensor', instead of searching for 'VZ commodore vehicle speed sensor', in which case the same thing will cost you $80.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
View attachment 237610

Step 7 is replace the sensor. They are just $17 from eBay if you search for '4l60e vehicle speed sensor', instead of searching for 'VZ commodore vehicle speed sensor', in which case the same thing will cost you $80.
Is the speedo working now with the new sensor?

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
The old one failed the resistance and wheel spin test. Something very abruptly died inside, it seems.

I could not purchase one here. I ordered off eBay. I will only know when it arrives.

Reactions: Lex

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I think the catalyst for failure was a new battery. Cause I installed a new one same day.

Tired old sensor couldn't handle the juice.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
After I installed the new sensor, at first nothing happened. So I finally lashed out and bought myself:

1655318002067.jpeg

But when it arrived, the silly duffers had sent me the wrong cards for it. I got Opel/Vauxhall and Saab instead of Holden and GM.

So I have been waiting all this while for the new cards to come so I can figure out exactly what is going on.

I just went down and hooked the battery up then to run the motor for a bit. Had to jump start it.

After a jump start, now the speedo is working, so that signal has been restored.

But it is still not changing gears.

Now check powertrain is gone, and it is in limp mode.

Anyway, it is all related to batteries, like so many of these gremlins. Has made the computers wig out somewhere.

When these cards arrive, I hope I can fix it with the Tech 2.

I bought a new project. This 5.7 litre Durango 4WD. It has been keeping me busy in the meantime,

$3000. It was cheap because the oil pressure light was coming on. I opened it up and it had some sludge and bits in the sump had blocked the pickup. The PCV valve had blocked and that caused it. It was running really well, so I think a cleanup has rescued it.

I just finished cleaning inside the motor, under the valve covers and timing cover, and I installed a high volume aftermarket oil pump. New shocks, engine mounts, some steering parts, a couple of bolts had snapped off holding the exhaust manifolds on, had to set that straight.

It is such a sick car. Huge piece of American steel. The wheels are half as big as me. Working on it is a workout because everything is giant size. Makes me feel like a Lilliputian. With the radiator out, I am able to - and in fact have to - stand between the engine and the grille to reach over to the back of the motor to take out the manifold and get to the bolts at the back of the valve covers. There is a space fully big enough for me to stand where the water pump and clutch fan and radiator go.

It has super chunky torsion bar suspension. It will be a gangster ride when I finish.

Getting to the oil pickup was a mission because the steering rack has to come out, which requires removal of the torsion bar. Then the wheels have to be disassembled to the lower ball joints so you can pull the front axles out. Then finally, the front diff comes out and you can drop the sump. Even after that there is an engine to transmission bracket covering the rear sump bolts, and the engine mounts have to be undone and the motor jacked up just to get that bracket out.

I will certainly never complain about getting a Commode sump out again.

1655318796524.png

1655319007777.png

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
The Tech 2 says the transmission is present, and that no fault codes are registered. There is nothing else showing with any of the other components.

I definitely have signal from the speed sensor, and power to the transmission. There is power at the transmission fuses, I mean.

But it is stuck in 3rd gear, can be changed to second only with the shift or by command.

Personally, I feel like the shift solenoids are not working or there is a mechanical issue inside the transmission.

I am going to send it for a rebuild, cause it only costs $900 here including a new torque converter.

But this is the first time I have used a Tech 2. Anyone got any more suggestions what might be wrong or what I can do? Anything I am missing?

I have zero expertise in this area, so any additional clues would be appreciated.