Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vehicle Storage

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
Hi everyone
I knew I would not be driving my VF ss for a fair period so I sought the advice of Holden re
the best way to store the vehicle. Here is their reply for anyone who might be interested.

Hi Merv,

Thank you for writing to Holden customer care, we appriciate that you are doing everything you can to take care of your car! Below I have listed the recommended way to store your car for long periods of time;

Storing for days

Prep the vehicle as following:

1. Ensure all tyre pressures are to the stated level on the tyre placard located on the vehicle.
  2. No more than ½ a tank worth of fuel in the vehicle.
  3. If left in a cooler climate: ensure the adequate pest control is in place (mouse/rat bate/taps) in the storage location.
Storing for weeks

Prep the vehicle as following:

1. Raise tyre pressures to the maximum pressure rating listed on the tyre wall to ensure no flat spots will form.
  2. No more than ½ of a tank of fuel for 1–2 weeks of storage and no more than ¼ of a tank of fuel for longer periods.
  3. Once the vehicle is in the storage location, disconnect the negative (-) battery cable if left for less than 3 weeks. Disconnect both negative and positive battery cables if left for more than 3 weeks. (Always disconnect the negative battery cable first!)
  4. Ensure all fluid levels (oil, coolant etc.) are at the maximum level (if top up of fluids are needed, use recommended fluids outlined in the owner’s manual and service handbook).
  5. If vehicle is exposed to outside conditions, do not park the vehicle under trees/bushes that drop leaves, sap and other debris as extend time on paint work with cause damage. If possible, place a cover over the vehicle.
  6. If left in a cooler climate: ensure the adequate pest control is in place (mouse/rat bate/taps) in the storage location.
I hope that this if helpful but if you wish for more assistance you can discuss this further with us via return email or by giving us a call. Please quote your reference number in the heading of this email for any future inquiries.

Yours sincerely,

Wendy - Holden Customer Care

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Interesting, ta. :)

Although I think they're maybe getting a bit pernickety about the amount of fuel, I don't think you really need to worry about it going off if you're storing for "days" rather than "weeks".
Unless the 1/2-tank thing is for a different reason?

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
I thought it was better to have a full tank before storing a car to help stop the tank rusting. Then drain the tank and put fresh fuel in before trying to start the car??

Granted that’s a sh*t load of old fuel you need to be able to store and use.

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
Hahaha .. half a tank when storing for days .. better not ever fill up the tank completely full then!

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I would think that a half tank that may go 'stale' over a long period leaves enough room to freshen with new fuel.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Interesting tips from Holden!
I just took my Director out for a quick spin so it saw daylight yesterday for the first time in 2 months... I never disconnect the battery though - rather it is left on a Ctek MXS 5.0 trickle charger which ensures battery life is preserved and I haven’t seen any negative effects of doing this compared to disconnecting the battery altogether.

Fuel quality these days are okay... I always have 50-70% full in the tank of 98 and can always top up when required.

I did think fluids would be okay... especially considering these are checked during our servicing every 9 months!

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I thought it was better to have a full tank before storing a car to help stop the tank rusting. Then drain the tank and put fresh fuel in before trying to start the car??

Granted that’s a sh*t load of old fuel you need to be able to store and use.
I didn't know plastic rusted.:rolleyes: I'm kidding.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I agree with the use of a CTek. I have a baby 0.8a unit (just bought a second one a few weeks ago when they were about $60) and plug the two garage cars in with in upon their return to the garage every time.

They maybe not used for a month between drives and I usually check fluid levels before any drive unless it's only been a few days since the last drive.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
@Lex good call.
For some reason I thought I read VC or VB not VF lol anyway I’d leave the fuel tank low