Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vehicle Storage

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Merv53, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Merv53

Merv53 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF series 2 SSV
    Hi everyone
    I knew I would not be driving my VF ss for a fair period so I sought the advice of Holden re
    the best way to store the vehicle. Here is their reply for anyone who might be interested.

Hi Merv,

Thank you for writing to Holden customer care, we appriciate that you are doing everything you can to take care of your car! Below I have listed the recommended way to store your car for long periods of time;

Storing for days

Prep the vehicle as following:

1. Ensure all tyre pressures are to the stated level on the tyre placard located on the vehicle.
    2. No more than ½ a tank worth of fuel in the vehicle.
    3. If left in a cooler climate: ensure the adequate pest control is in place (mouse/rat bate/taps) in the storage location.
    Storing for weeks

Prep the vehicle as following:

1. Raise tyre pressures to the maximum pressure rating listed on the tyre wall to ensure no flat spots will form.
    2. No more than ½ of a tank of fuel for 1–2 weeks of storage and no more than ¼ of a tank of fuel for longer periods.
    3. Once the vehicle is in the storage location, disconnect the negative (-) battery cable if left for less than 3 weeks. Disconnect both negative and positive battery cables if left for more than 3 weeks. (Always disconnect the negative battery cable first!)
    4. Ensure all fluid levels (oil, coolant etc.) are at the maximum level (if top up of fluids are needed, use recommended fluids outlined in the owner’s manual and service handbook).
    5. If vehicle is exposed to outside conditions, do not park the vehicle under trees/bushes that drop leaves, sap and other debris as extend time on paint work with cause damage. If possible, place a cover over the vehicle.
    6. If left in a cooler climate: ensure the adequate pest control is in place (mouse/rat bate/taps) in the storage location.
    I hope that this if helpful but if you wish for more assistance you can discuss this further with us via return email or by giving us a call. Please quote your reference number in the heading of this email for any future inquiries.

Yours sincerely,

Wendy - Holden Customer Care

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    DIR115 and Ron Burgundy like this.
  2. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    Interesting, ta. :)

Although I think they're maybe getting a bit pernickety about the amount of fuel, I don't think you really need to worry about it going off if you're storing for "days" rather than "weeks".
    Unless the 1/2-tank thing is for a different reason?

3. Mattricho

Mattricho Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV my15
    I thought it was better to have a full tank before storing a car to help stop the tank rusting. Then drain the tank and put fresh fuel in before trying to start the car??

Granted that’s a sh*t load of old fuel you need to be able to store and use.

4. lordsnipe

lordsnipe Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV
    Hahaha .. half a tank when storing for days .. better not ever fill up the tank completely full then!

5. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    I would think that a half tank that may go 'stale' over a long period leaves enough room to freshen with new fuel.

abuch47 likes this.
  6. tommy_z

tommy_z Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Director
    Interesting tips from Holden!
    I just took my Director out for a quick spin so it saw daylight yesterday for the first time in 2 months... I never disconnect the battery though - rather it is left on a Ctek MXS 5.0 trickle charger which ensures battery life is preserved and I haven’t seen any negative effects of doing this compared to disconnecting the battery altogether.

Fuel quality these days are okay... I always have 50-70% full in the tank of 98 and can always top up when required.

I did think fluids would be okay... especially considering these are checked during our servicing every 9 months!

Milo 6.0 likes this.
  7. Lex

Lex Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VT Executive S1 V6 Auto Wagon
    I didn't know plastic rusted.:rolleyes: I'm kidding.

Ron Burgundy likes this.
  8. Voodoo_SV6

Voodoo_SV6 Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
    I agree with the use of a CTek. I have a baby 0.8a unit (just bought a second one a few weeks ago when they were about $60) and plug the two garage cars in with in upon their return to the garage every time.

They maybe not used for a month between drives and I usually check fluid levels before any drive unless it's only been a few days since the last drive.

9. Mattricho

Mattricho Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV my15
    @Lex good call.
    For some reason I thought I read VC or VB not VF lol anyway I’d leave the fuel tank low

10. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Yes, that was definitely referred to but seems to have disappeared now though.

11. 1985VK

1985VK Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VK SL
    More fuel in the tank means less air in it that can carry moisture ... a bit of metho in the tank makes the water mix in with the fuel and also helps reduce the chance of the tank rusting ...

12. panhead

panhead Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Cars
    A few days without taking a car for a drive is called storing, wow I'll see if my insurance company will reduce my comprehensive insurance premiums and accepted it as a stored vehicle.

Ron Burgundy and VS 5.0 like this.
  13. Derekthetree

Derekthetree New Member

Members Ride:
    Gen F R8 MY15
    Any advice on leaving the electronic handbrake on/off when leaving it stood for a couple of weeks?

My previous car with one I left it on, and no issues. Just wondering if VF have any issues with sticking.

14. Sir Les

Sir Les Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V V6 MY14
    I went o/s for 9 weeks recently, and left my VF in my garage with the handbrake on. No problems on return. Got my sister-in-law to start the car up and gently rev it for a few minutes every couple of weeks just to keep things ticking over, but she didn't release the handbrake (as far as I know!).

Derekthetree likes this.
  15. Milo 6.0

Milo 6.0 Member

Members Ride:
    vf ssv
    Also recommend c tek chargers,i only put my charger on every month or so for a day with the factory installed battery,but my car is driven around once a week,can take months to use a full tank of fuel,never gone off yet.

16. lowandslow

lowandslow Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 III Monaro
    I used to leave my ss sit for months at a time in the old ladies garage. Just start it and drive it and when i was done, park it and shut the door.
    Seemed to work ok.

tommy_z and abuch47 like this.
  17. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    Yeah … gots to say, my Volvo is tuned to be running PULP98 & doesn't have a knock sensor … the current tank is approaching 6 months old, and it's been fine thus-far. Can sit for up to 6wks without any use (eg. it's got 15yo brake pads with what looks like 80%+ meat; the 15yo tyres still had sipes & I ditched them due to age rather than tread depth).

18. Wayno73

Wayno73 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE II MY11 SS, TM MY12 BARINA, NM MY15 TRITON
    How do you connect your Ctek?

I used the under bonnet connections but I thinking of installing the permanent wires directly to the battery.

Ctek seems to be a good unit. Got the 10amp version as it suits big engines and will do the Triton if required.

19. Milo 6.0

Milo 6.0 Member

Members Ride:
    vf ssv
    I just clamp mine directly onto the battery on my wagon,usually only leave it on for about a day,its fully charged after that amount of time,going by all the lights being illuminated on the charger.
    Ive been meaning to check the fluid level/acid level in the battery,pretty sure its the factory fitted one and has the plugs to unscrew and refill unlike almost all new batterys which seem to be sealed.

20. Wayno73

Wayno73 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE II MY11 SS, TM MY12 BARINA, NM MY15 TRITON
    Thanks for that. I’ve still got the original battery so it’s now a challenge to see how long I make it last.
    Cheers

Milo 6.0 likes this.