Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vehicle Storage

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I thought it was better to have a full tank before storing a car to help stop the tank rusting.

More fuel in the tank means less air in it that can carry moisture ... a bit of metho in the tank makes the water mix in with the fuel and also helps reduce the chance of the tank rusting ...

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
A few days without taking a car for a drive is called storing, wow I'll see if my insurance company will reduce my comprehensive insurance premiums and accepted it as a stored vehicle.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Any advice on leaving the electronic handbrake on/off when leaving it stood for a couple of weeks?

My previous car with one I left it on, and no issues. Just wondering if VF have any issues with sticking.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
I went o/s for 9 weeks recently, and left my VF in my garage with the handbrake on. No problems on return. Got my sister-in-law to start the car up and gently rev it for a few minutes every couple of weeks just to keep things ticking over, but she didn't release the handbrake (as far as I know!).

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Also recommend c tek chargers,i only put my charger on every month or so for a day with the factory installed battery,but my car is driven around once a week,can take months to use a full tank of fuel,never gone off yet.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
I used to leave my ss sit for months at a time in the old ladies garage. Just start it and drive it and when i was done, park it and shut the door.
Seemed to work ok.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Also recommend c tek chargers,i only put my charger on every month or so for a day with the factory installed battery,but my car is driven around once a week,can take months to use a full tank of fuel,never gone off yet.
Yeah … gots to say, my Volvo is tuned to be running PULP98 & doesn't have a knock sensor … the current tank is approaching 6 months old, and it's been fine thus-far. Can sit for up to 6wks without any use (eg. it's got 15yo brake pads with what looks like 80%+ meat; the 15yo tyres still had sipes & I ditched them due to age rather than tread depth).

Wayno73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS

How do you connect your Ctek?

I used the under bonnet connections but I thinking of installing the permanent wires directly to the battery.

Ctek seems to be a good unit. Got the 10amp version as it suits big engines and will do the Triton if required.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
How do you connect your Ctek?

I used the under bonnet connections but I thinking of installing the permanent wires directly to the battery.

Ctek seems to be a good unit. Got the 10amp version as it suits big engines and will do the Triton if required.

I just clamp mine directly onto the battery on my wagon,usually only leave it on for about a day,its fully charged after that amount of time,going by all the lights being illuminated on the charger.
Ive been meaning to check the fluid level/acid level in the battery,pretty sure its the factory fitted one and has the plugs to unscrew and refill unlike almost all new batterys which seem to be sealed.

Wayno73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS
I just clamp mine directly onto the battery on my wagon,usually only leave it on for about a day,its fully charged after that amount of time,going by all the lights being illuminated on the charger.
Ive been meaning to check the fluid level/acid level in the battery,pretty sure its the factory fitted one and has the plugs to unscrew and refill unlike almost all new batterys which seem to be sealed.

Thanks for that. I’ve still got the original battery so it’s now a challenge to see how long I make it last.
Cheers