Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vehicle weights for towing

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Pathetic reply from HCC.

The compliance label is on the passenger side b pillar, not within the engine bay of your vehicle. It doesn’t list GVM for passenger vehicles so why point you to it? Makes no sense.

They build the thing so they should know the vehicle’s limits in terms of GVM, KM or TW. Seems they simply don’t want to provide such info so people can tow safely... so why sell a towbar as an accessory?

Odd that they didn’t point you to tare weight or kerb mass numbers as axle loads on their own mean nothing... As I said, pathetic reply.

Last edited:

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
Lets say your VZ wagon has a perfect 50:50 weight split (unlikely - more like 52:48) but 50:50 is worse in this case.
So your Tare axle loads are 831.5kg.
So you hook up your 152kg on the ball, so you now have 983.5kg rear axle load, but the car squats and puts a bit more load on the rear, so lets call it 1015kg rear axle load and 800kg front axle load, for a total of 1815kg.
I can't find a spec for GVM or payload, but they are typically around 500kg (my VF sportwagon is listed as 490Kg).
So lets say you have a GVM of 2163kg, so you have 348kg left for passengers, fuel and baggage, being careful where you put it so you don't overload the axle weight, ie it can't all go in the rear.
I would calculate passenger as a 50:50 split front to rear, fuel all to the rear.
Baggage, depends where you put it, back seat , split it, rear cargo area, all on the rear axle.

Note that your GVM is not a combination of Front and Rear axle loads. Can you find a listed payload?

And yes, the response from HCC is poor.
This is information they should have and should pass on.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
To make it as basic as possible, your max tow capacity is 2100kg. Your max GCM is 2100kg plus your GVM MINUS your ball weight. For passenger vehicles this is not defined but looking in the owners manual will give you your vehicles weights. Remember that your towball mass has to be added to the load you are putting in the car. (The GVM is your kerb weight plus your payload minus the towball mass of the trailer)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
From memory the manuals had a max tow rating of 1600kg for manual, 2100 for auto. I did hear from a mate they are good for a good 4.5T though ;)