Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VEII Passenger Front Electric Window Troubleshooting

dimsimnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Z SERIES
Hi, have been having an intermittent issue with this windows, sometimes stuck down and sometime wont go back up. I've found recently that opening and shutting the door (a little slamming involved) has got it working again. I assumed that maybe a plug had come loose.

I've just stripped the door back and the plug was secure so started follwing the thread below

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/help-please-drivers-side-window-not-working.183520/

I've been through and removed the switch and bridged out the pins and the window still doesn't work. All other Windows are working fine.

My question is what kind of voltages should be at the two pins on the window motor when the switch is operated? I seemed to get one to do 12v up/down and the other only a volt of so, so was wondering if that was the auto up/down signal at the motor or if not then maybe the Windows Control Module is faulty? Or maybe the 12v is simply the supply and the smaller voltage the control?

Has anyone ever measured these or have a better idea of how it works exactly?

Cheers

peterj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 1 Berlina
You could possibly have a broken wire where the harness leaves the body and goes to the door.

I had a similar issue where my drivers window didn't work and a broken wire was the culprit.

dimsimnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Z SERIES
Thanks for that.... did you do any continuity tests? Wondering If I can do a continuity test from the switch through to both terminals on the regulator but not sure if its goes through a control module (auto up/down) or not and if that would work?

There may be a plug down behind the passenger kick panel that i could test from, guess ill just take it all off and see whats there.

peterj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 1 Berlina
My issues were the same as yours the window would stop and then work a few minutes later, i checked the relays in the passenger foot well , then bought an aftermarket switch to no avail even went to a wrecker to get another window regulator but got them to connect it to my wiring before purchase and that didn't work either.

I spoke to an auto sparky and he suggested a broken wire and reckoned it was quite common , it was a pia to remove the rubber cover over the wires and very tight area to work in but he was right.

So i suggest you do the easy options before spending money on replacement parts.

dimsimnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Z SERIES
Peter - you were spot on... could have saved myself the effort of troubleshooting the switch etc. There was a fat'ish blue wire that had completely broken inside the boot. See pics below for any other future reference. Seems like the window reg and switches etc would be the last thing to check if anyone gets what starts out as an intermittent electric window failure that comes right by opening and closing the door.

Get a thin flat bladed screw driver and press in gently between boot and body, then pop the boot out (there are clips at the top and bottom of the boot)
IMG_1892 (Medium).JPG

Pull away from the body and undo the plug by pushing the the small white securing clip. Pull the boot right back away from the door to expose the wiring

IMG_1889 (Medium).JPG

Identify the broken wire(s) and strip the ends

IMG_1890 (Medium).JPG

Use either a quick joiner or I guess you could solder a small length of wire in as a joiner to give a little more length.

IMG_1891 (Medium).JPG

Wrap it all up with electrical tape and fit the boot back to the body making note of the same way the boot was angled when you removed it.

IMG_1892 (Medium) (2).JPG

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon