Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VEII SSV Redline edition - Mods started now check engine light

GSK101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SSV Redline edition
Hey guys,

I've just recently picked up my VE II SSV Redline edition. I'm happy with it (had a S1 SS and 6L Calais in the past).

I installed a VCM OTR intake and stupid me left the wire that goes to the CAS? (it might not be the CAS but I think it is), loose and went for a spin around the block after installing the OTR and the car turned off and check engine light came up.

It turns out that the wire rubber up againest one of the belts and did slightly chew through the wires plastic and I guess probably gave a spark to either the sensor or the ECU. I have since tapped up the wire and put it out the way safely, the car runs fine. I've since done around 1,000km's in the car and every now and again the check engine light comes up however it doesn't appear every time I start the car.

Is this a design feature and it needs a propper reset from the dealer, or? I don't want to take it to the dealer for them to say that I need a new CAS at the cost of $X,XXX or that my warranty is now void so I'd prefer to resolve this issue before taking to the dealer.

The only other mods to the car is a 2.5" cat back, the light came up before the cat back was installed.

Regards,
GSK101

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
You're in Melbourne. Take it to Chev's and he'll sort it for you...

Cheers!
CSP

GSK101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SSV Redline edition
This is the only pic that I have at the moment:

73683_499502373295_608253295_7070160_4525061_n.jpg

I've also now put a GXP rear diffuser on the car (I like the look of this over the standard SS item) and the rear window lip which I got from the states. The car is getting lowered tomorrow and hopefully tinted windows this weekend also.

I installed the OTR myself. I can't see how VCM could help as I doubt it's an issue with their product that's causing the check engine light?

CSP - Who's Chev? (I'm new to the Commodore forums)

GSK101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SSV Redline edition
This is just after the cat back was installed and VCM OTR intake. I was running the car on E85 (I won't be anymore as it's using far far too much compared to 98)

149980_10150094230398296_608253295_7148359_831606_n.jpg

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Is it a MAF or MAFLESS OTR? If its Mafless the engine light is on because it isnt getting a reading from the MAF.

If the OTR has a MAF and youve plugged it in, it may throw an engine light due to unmetered air getting in after the MAF. This can happen if the OTR isnt seated correctly on the throttle body and air is leaking in. Usually the rubber folds over at the bottom and doesnt go over the throttle body properly.

It may also flash the engine light due to you turning the ignition on without the MAF plugged in, cant remember if it stays on after you plug it back in or not.

travisd1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS-V Redline Edition
i also had this problem with my Redline Edition. As it turns out, my long term fuel trims were up the creek.
A simple trip out to Chev's soon had it fixed. The Hz at idle had to be raised from 2400 to about 2500Hz.
Didn't take long to do. Drop into Chev's and he'll sort it out.

GSK101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SSV Redline edition
travisd1 - are you saying that this happened from the factory or after the install of your OTR?

Ricey - It is a MAF version. I'll check out around the MAF to see if there could possibly be any leaks.