Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vent your VN/VP frustrations here

Cogez

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 Series II VP Calais
VN/VPs are always broken, and it's outrageously frustrating. So I've thought it a good idea to make a post where everyone can list every single thing that's wrong with their car, and maybe someone nice might PM you with tips...or more likely just laugh at you coz they have the same problems too.

I will start (this could be quite long)

Engine ticks
Diff clunks
Mudflaps scrape
Engine mounts worn to nothing
Fuel gauge has to be bashed to work
Fuel gauge light doesn't work
Left bank of dash lights don't work
Piece of plastic in auto trans selector that has a green clear bit that lights up what gear you're in, is snapped in half
Piece of dashboard under steering wheel got broken in half, so is now gone
Boot light farked
Glove box light farked
Cigarette lighters farked
Map lights have to be bashed to work
Rear reading light farked
Drivers seat slowly tilts backward, so you have to readjust it every week
Car is covered in scratches, paint chips and hail damage
Park light gone
Brakes worn
Rear tyres bald
Licence plate light farked
A/C makes sounds like it's dying an extruciating death
Rear left power window doesn't come down
Alarm sets itself off for no reason
Remote central locking only locks the two front doors
Tint peeling off the back window, after 2 months
Boot lock smashed up with a screwdriver, pretty Holden badge broken off

I reckon that might be all...and I feel much better =P

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Paint underneath the bezel is flaking! :(

Yeah, that's pretty much it. :)

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
cobez just keep a large list of spares and u will never have a problem, i have two spares of each part at most times need anything flip me a buzz i got good ciggie, glove box lights etc

Leebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN
WATER GOING INTO THE GOD DAM TAIL LAMPS . Nothing on my car shits me more than this everybody see it and is expensive to have professionally fixed.

Lazy gauges
Door catch broken
rust rust rust
leaking fuel tank
faulty electrics
The brakes (don't need to explain)

I could be here all night.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
tail lights just drill two small holes on each side in the bottom of it to let them drip out problem solvered i cant really complain too much, everything has been replaced except the diff *CLUnK CLUnK* at 450 thou who cares

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
My biggest complaint about them is they break down and get in my way when im trying to drive:p

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Those damn rubber guides down the front end of the window rails. Over the years, all the guides on VN/VP models have slowly slid up with the motion of the window, and nearly ALL of them stick out from the door around the side mirrors. It looks hideous!!

Leebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN
Yeah i drilled those holes bit it's still cloudy inside

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Yeah i drilled those holes bit it's still cloudy inside

If they are cheap replacement units the reflectors are not clued in proper. Run a small amount of sealer around the lens for the reflector and the yellow bit for the indicator. Fixed my water in the bloody lens.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
VN/VPs are always broken, and it's outrageously frustrating. So I've thought it a good idea to make a post where everyone can list every single thing that's wrong with their car, and maybe someone nice might PM you with tips...or more likely just laugh at you coz they have the same problems too.

I will start (this could be quite long)

Engine ticks - Most likely your lifters are worn, replace
Diff clunks - Excessive backlash or damaged uni joints, recalibrate or replace unis
Mudflaps scrape - ppffft, who uses mudflaps? Remove
Engine mounts worn to nothing - Replace Engine Mounts
Fuel gauge has to be bashed to work - Dry Solder joints on PCB, resolder
Fuel gauge light doesn't work - Renew globe, Renew Connection, Check Sender Unit
Left bank of dash lights don't work - Replace Rear Illumination Globes
Piece of plastic in auto trans selector that has a green clear bit that lights up what gear you're in, is snapped in half - Replace Gear Select Indicator
Piece of dashboard under steering wheel got broken in half, so is now gone - Replace Lower Steering Coloum Surround
Boot light farked - Check Globe, Check Pressure Switch, Replace as necessary
Glove box light farked - Check Globe, Check Pressure Switch, Replace as necessary
Cigarette lighters farked - Check connection to both tip and sleave, check fuse, replace parts as requried
Map lights have to be bashed to work - Check connection joints and recalibrate globe mount point
Rear reading light farked - Replace globe or lense case as required
Drivers seat slowly tilts backward, so you have to readjust it every week - Amend broken tilt adjustment pin in control wheel, there is a how to on this
Car is covered in scratches, paint chips and hail damage - Respray panels as required
Park light gone - Renew Globe
Brakes worn - Check pads for RWC friction material, ensure rotors are clean and free of wear or scoring, bleed brake system, renew components as required
Rear tyres bald - Replace tires
Licence plate light farked - Check globes and connections, repair/replace as required
A/C makes sounds like it's dying an extruciating death - Check compressor pulley bearings, connections and refrigerant gas pressure. Replace / renew as requried
Rear left power window doesn't come down - Renew primary release cable spindle pulley in winder arm, renew cable if frayed or damaged
Alarm sets itself off for no reason - Possible earth leak or oversensitive tilt/shock sensors, replace as requried
Remote central locking only locks the two front doors - Incorrect wiring or acutator fail, check wiring connections between BCM and slave acutators, replace faulty units as required
Tint peeling off the back window, after 2 months - Consult warrenty on tint, renew if required
Boot lock smashed up with a screwdriver, pretty Holden badge broken off - Renew boot lock, install new pretty badge

I reckon that might be all...and I feel much better =P

There you go...

aZk