Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Very bad fuel economy VN V8

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Ey guys just put $40 of 98 octane premium fuel in, which was 31 litres or something like that. So far ive only done 80k's since filling up and im already on red line. I also just serviced the car oil change/filters/leads and sparkplugs, I did the leads and sparkplugs due to it was jerking/missing while driving that problem went away but now seems to be haunting me again.

Any ideas on what this could be? I was thinking maybe a leaking injector.. car is virtually stock as a rock CAI and exhaust system.

Cheers:thumbsup:

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
I have an idea............

Search :thumbsup:

8rody

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
The gauge is accurate yes? :p

If you can, get the car up on ramps and run it for a bit. Check all the steel fuel lines from the fuel tank to the engine bay for pinhole leaks. Check all rubbers.

Check the fuel rail for leaks.

If all is a-ok, its it's likely leaking injector, or a dodgy sensor (oxygen sensor for example) that is causing it to run really rich.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
oxygen sensor and coolant sensors are a good start and a new thermostat of the correct temp and check the base timing

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Hmm Im more pointing towards the coolant sensors, as going by the gauge its over cooling which results in more fuel consumption yeh?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if its not warming up or not warming up fast enough will cost a lot of fuel.thermostat and ecu temp sensor will be a good start

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Ey guys just put $40 of 98 octane premium fuel in, which was 31 litres or something like that. So far ive only done 80k's since filling up and im already on red line. I also just serviced the car oil change/filters/leads and sparkplugs, I did the leads and sparkplugs due to it was jerking/missing while driving that problem went away but now seems to be haunting me again.

Any ideas on what this could be? I was thinking maybe a leaking injector.. car is virtually stock as a rock CAI and exhaust system.

Cheers:thumbsup:

31 Lts will get you 200k's or so. The missfire could be dizzy cap/rotor button - as you have changed leads and plugs. A leaky injector probably wont give a missfire. A blocked injector may do so - but would probably have a miss at idle.

Id start with replacing the O2 sensor and temp sensor as Delcowiz said ^^^ first and check the contacts on the rotor button/dizzy cap.

Noy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Cheers guys, yeah going to go to holden tommorow and buy an O2 sensor and temp sensor.. holden stock them still yeah?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Is it an auto and if so is the torque converter locking up

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
if the coil is original it may be time for repalcement as well. also check the static timing on the dizzy. may not be your problem but can't hurt to check anyways