Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Very concerning sound upon startup...

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Well considering that one of the main jobs of oil is to clean as well as lubricate, there is absolutely no obvious issue with that oil as far as I can see. It's 4500kms old and not overly dark. Again, unless I'm missing something, it looks completely normal.

Yeah but my VK has a filthy crankcase but i don't think the oil is dirtier than that. That seems to be off the dip stick. Would you leave it in for another 5 or 10 thousand and then post back with lifter tick? I know oil companies say extend your oil change but maybe they just know oil changes are a grudge buy, but each unto their own ...

There is a great thread here on oil change intervals https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/lifter-addititive-good-idea.268854/

Last edited:

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Yeah but my VK has a filthy crankcase but i don't think the oil is dirtier than that

Your VK is also 34yrs old with carbon deposits likely encrusted upon the crankcase and heads to such an extent that an angle grinder would struggle to remove them.

The OP's car is near enough to new that the oil is still able to do its job of removing said deposits. Let's compare apples to apples yeah..?

That seems to be off the dip stick. Would you leave it in for another 5 or 10 thousand and then post back with lifter tick?

Where else would it be off? Yes, I'd leave it in for another 5-10k..post back with lifter tick?..don't understand..you realise I'm not the OP?

Last edited:

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Your VK is also at least 34yrs old with carbon deposits likely encrusted upon the crankcase which an angle grinder would struggle to remove.

The OP's car is near enough to new that the oil is still able to do its job of removing said deposits. Let's compare apples to apples yeah..?

OK so how long would you leave it in for an oil change? I know oil companies say extend your oil change but maybe they just know oil changes are a grudge buy, but each unto their own ...

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK so how long would you leave it in for an oil change?

Assuming it's quality oil..I'd happily leave it until the manufacturers recommendations, unless the vehicle is being operated in unusual conditions. There is nothing visually wrong with that oil. I'm not sure why you think there is.

Hot tip for you...don't ever buy a diesel..

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Assuming it's quality oil..I'd happily leave it until the manufacturers recommendations, unless the vehicle is being operated in unusual conditions. There is nothing visually wrong with that oil. I'm not sure why you think there is.

Hot tip for you...don't ever buy a diesel..

Hot tip ... do some research and take what the manufacturer says with a grain of salt ... the number of recalls should tell you car makers are in it for money ... but if you want to read the fine print the manufacturers idea of severe conditions is stop start city driving ...

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
the number of recalls should tell you car makers are in it for money

How many recalls has the VF had..? And how do recalls make a manufacturer money? Genuinely confused by that one... o_O

do some research and take what the manufacturer says with a grain of salt

I know oil companies say extend your oil change but maybe they just know oil changes are a grudge buy, but each unto their own ...

Oil companies make no recommendations as to frequency of oil changes ..manufacturers do that.

The same manufacturers who have a vested interest in ensuring their vehicles don't cause them major warranty concerns (ie - money).

Now, back to my question..why is it you think that oil is unreasonably deteriorated, giving due consideration to the kms the car has done since it was changed (4500km), and it's obviously effective detergent qualities?

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Manufacturers recommendation is not gospel it is just an opinion. By the time issues may turn up you would be out of warranty and even if you were within warranty it is up to you to prove it and they are generally more cashed up than you.

Its a 2 year engine and i asked the owner if it smells and looks ok. For all we know he might say yeah its fine or he may say different. Its a photo on a screen. I am not an oil chemistry engineer and chances are neither are you so your comment on its detergent qualities and state are probably based on repeating stuff but sadly repeating stuff doesn't make it more true. Just means someone likes to repeat stuff. Blind faith in manufacturers is an example of repeating stuff but its just repeating their opinions.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
[QUOTE="tml678, post: 3004051, member: 107306
Oil companies make no recommendations as to frequency of oil changes ..manufacturers do that.

[/QUOTE]

I think you are possibly 100 percent wrong. Oil manufacturers can and do make recommendations on the products they develop.