Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Very concerning sound upon startup...

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
I tend to agree with tml678 about following OEM oil change guidelines but it's not gonna hurt to change it earlier nor cost you much. Replace the oil and filter if it hasnt been done yet and see how she goes.

That said if its stopped happening no point in doing anything you cant replicate for anyone anyway and holden will think your losing it as will other mechanics.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Service is due in March so will get the oil changed then. I don't use the car much now as I just changed jobs and catch a bus to work now. FYI previously the car was driven to work everyday in Sydneys wonderful traffic so although my overall KMS are low (19,500km) the car has been used mainly in start stop traffic. Now she will serve as a weekend cruiser.

You wrote it made a loud mechanical clanking noise which lasted a couple seconds and sounded like a shovel was attached to the flywheel. The second post was from another poster about the condition of the oil.

The car has low kms (19,500km) and operated under very severe driving conditions. Its probably had one or two oil changes in its whole life since new and the oil looks like that. Is there anything you can think of that happened to the car that might have been a problem like a severe overheat or bad fuel or rough running etc?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
The vf has that auto start mechanism where you don’t need to hold the key in the start position until it starts - the mere fact of momentarily turning the key to start before releasing will run the starter motor until the engine fires

My guess is that the key has been held (and not released) in the start position even after the engine has fired

That wouldn't do anything as the car starts itself. you can hold the key for 10 secs after the car has started and it wont keep the starter attached to flywheel.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Yeah i know its Sydney and probably worth checking the fan belt in case the car sucked up some gold diggers handbag while she was bolting across the road to get to a sale .... ;)

NewbC4KE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV M6 & Monaco M4 125cc 2 Stroke Go Kart
@Paulie81

1. If you are worried about the noise you could always take your vehicle back to your Holden dealer get the all clear and have it documented on the job ticket sheet and keep it for your information and records in case an issue develops in the future(very doubtful)

2.RE Oil - My vehicle is not a daily driver and does not see a lot of continuous long/highway km's as I live in a suburban area and I don't get to take it out as much as I would like. It would get is a freeway run to the city/day trips couple of times a month and therefore I elect to get the oil changed every six months regardless if the car has only done 1 thousand km's during that time period. I feel the frequent short trips would deteriorate engine oil faster. Alot of people around here may not agree and or criticise but I don't care about the cost and I feel in my mind its preventative maintenance. The colour of oil on the dried up paper towel looks standard - not overly black, still has a nice honey / tan to it.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I magnified the pic of the oil to 500% and there are some black grit and bits in it and what looks like separation of the oil on the paper napkin ... maybe its ok but it doesn't look ok to me ...

A member on here got his oil tested and getting lab results is far more reliable than guessing.

Last edited:

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Great idea, she'll love you for it..

Awesome colour btw :)

Thanks. It was exactly why I bought a MY16 instead of waiting for the MY17.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
You wrote it made a loud mechanical clanking noise which lasted a couple seconds and sounded like a shovel was attached to the flywheel. The second post was from another poster about the condition of the oil.

The car has low kms (19,500km) and operated under very severe driving conditions. Its probably had one or two oil changes in its whole life since new and the oil looks like that. Is there anything you can think of that happened to the car that might have been a problem like a severe overheat or bad fuel or rough running etc?

No to be honest. Only issue that I suspect is how my Uncle started the car. remember that mine is a manual.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
No to be honest. Only issue that I suspect is how my Uncle started the car. remember that mine is a manual.

I hope there is nothing wrong and there is no damage and nothing to worry about.