Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

very heavy steering

race4life

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ACCLAIM
Hi Everyone,

my vy acclaim has had this problem for a while now, the steering feels reallllly heavy specially when i crank it up in the morning i have to wrestle to get it going spl when getting out of the driveway. I have driven a nissan patrol 4WD yesterday and heck that feels like a dream before my commie. The power steering fluid level is alright, i've got it serviced regularly .. Anything particular that I need to check for ??? any help would b greatly appreciated.

ris00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 SS
pwr steering pump sounds like its had it.

Aryashahin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Calais supercharged V6
do you hear a buzzing sound... for a while when it start the engine
have you checked your fluid or is there any leaks.?!!
it will cost you around 50 max to get it fixed:dance:

race4life

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ACCLAIM
i hear not a buzzing sound but when i make an u turn or a pretty deep curve there is a sound as if there is metal scraping with metal inside the steering, can actually feel the scraping through the steering wheel. for the reply that i got above.. how do i check if the power steering pump is working? there is no leak from the power steering.. do i need to get it checked by a mechanic?

ris00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 SS
take it to a steering joint or a mechanic

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
i have had this problem before, as others have said it's your p/steering pump that has had it.
the crunching/scraping noise you speak of, i have only ever had this happen when i ran out of p/steering fluid.

Shedvl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th Anniversary Commodore
Just looked for a thread with this type of heading so Im glad there was one here. I just noticed my steering starting to feel a bit heavy tonight. Tyre pressure was ok. Couldnt check the power steering fluid level as it was dark. Will check that in the morning. Its due for a service so I will get them to check it as well.. Just a quick question. Is your power steering fluid something that should only need to be checked or filled during your service ? By that I mean how fast should you be going through it or is every car different ?