Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Very high under bonnet temps

01SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
The engine and bay his highly modified . By the sound of it I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and chop up a bonnet. I'm just truing to slide under the radar. The current combo makes 410rwkw, I'm still running factory mags, had my intercooler and piping powder coated black to avoid un wanted attention. Attention I don't want, it's very Suttle that's why I wanted to avoid reverse cowl and bonnet vents. it's very street able, uses alot of fuel, hence more fuel more heat, just suffering heat soak. Thanks again for some ideas.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'm thinking, mounting a thermo fan underneath the engine bay, thermostatically controlled, & suck out the hot air underneath the car when a certain temperature is reached (ex 98).
Only a thought. Would save cutting holes in the bonnet.

Good idea, but hot air rises......So it mightn't be too effective.....You can only try

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
You have a static heat removal problem in the cooling system.

The excessive heat being caused by the exhaust system, whether this is due to a tune/blocked cat/whatever issue is separate.

You need to look at the cooling capacity of the radiator that is in there. If it's a stock item, Is it big enough for the current purpose?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Where is the intake filter located?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Hmmm. Intercooler and airconditioning condenser both heating up the air before it even gets to the radiator. As other members have suggested, probably needs an upgraded radiator.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
My bet is that with all that extra stuff in front the low speed thermofan just can't draw enough air through, if I'm not mistaken 110°C is the high speed thermofan on temp.

The question is what thermostat does it have and what are the thermofan on/off settings? Also, the location of the air intake filter is critical, if it is under the bonnet and not shielded then when stationary it will be sucking hot air and with a lack of airflow through the front of the car you will end up with thermal runaway...

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yeah agree that the vx cooling system is very adequate. Drove my ss the other day for 40 min in 40-50kmph traffic in 34 degrees without the fans connected (by accident) and it was fine until I came to a complete stop.

Where are you measuring the temperature? If that’s coolant temp I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

01SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Removed the rubber strip at the rear and spaced the bonnet up a few mm at the back. It made a bit of difference. It looks definitely like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and vent the bonnet.
Thanks for the replies.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
If it was me I'd be working out why it's getting so hot. Talk to your tuner and ask what the thermofan temps are, a simple change of settings he could probably do at no or little cost (considering what has already been spent on tuning it) and may very well fix your problem without going to drastic steps like cutting the bonnet.

01SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Yeah looks like another option to try, it does use a lot of fuel, even driving around off boost. The difilipo are hpc coated, would there be an advantage to pulling the extractors off and wrapping them?