Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Very high under bonnet temps

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
do u still have that plastic piece (right angle bent) that is under the radiator ? that helps increase airspeed after the radiator to help draw air thru it when driving, the LS being alloy does dispate alot of heat so it will be hotter then a iron block that holds in heat a little more but u should be able to set fan temps to come on at 95-100 and it should have no issues keeping it that temp driving normal, if it cant then there is a issue with flow or fans

01SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
You're right, the 2 plastic pieces underneath have been removed I have those, not the piece that covers the gap on top of the radiator.
Under normal driving its fine, just sitting in traffic stop starting its gets terrible heat soak. Those guards never went back on, those pesky little plastic clips...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The one that goes on the top of the radiator is quiet critical, without it, high pressure hot air from the engine bay can cycle back to the front of the radiator creating a hot air loop. You should be able to find similar clips at your local supercrap or ripoff stores.

01SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Cheers, that's my next step. I'll post when I can get those fitted.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
as mentioned see what the fans are set to they sound like it's factory temps if it's getting to 110c should get fan 1 to 95 and fan 2 to 100, also if ur in traffic put the a/c on so fans come on see if it can hold temps around the 90-95c if it can then might just have to get the engine fans set to suit

01SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
I'll get the tuner to check the fans, they seem to be working fine, well both fans come on and off fine, not sure what Temps they are set at. Does anybody else with large 4 into 1 extractors suffer from really hot floors near the tunnel?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if u don't have headers thermal coated it can help, ive got a new set coming back from "race coatings" at the moment they do some good work there

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

sticksicks

Reaction score
Members Ride
yer ma
The heat soak under the floor will be 'normal' with a larger exhaust that's closer to the underside, especially if there's a problem with
heat soak. Be aware that it's not damaging anything you care about under there, like paint or rust proofing. Wear thicker thongs ? :D
That heat wrap that you can put on exhaust pipes looks the biz and does help, but it will increase the speed and severity of corrosion of your exhaust. Even if you only drive it on dry days, the temperature variations between the materials will create little layers of moisture at start up and especially on cool down. So I have been informed :cool:
And, the underside thermo fan is a good idea but make sure it doesn't impede airflow around the block when you are actually driving. The airflow around the engine is deliberately designed to help the cooling, similar to the plastic lips around the radiator.
ANd, do you still have aircon? I've always wondered if it's possible to create an engine bay vent to post some cool air in there at idle on hot days.
Sounds like a fun ride. Take care and let us know how it goes.

01SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Bit of an update. I have put all new plastic shrouds and covers and the sump guard back on. It makes a little bit of difference as when driving the temp drops below 210F, but with the ac on or stopped in traffic for a while the temp still heats up over 210F. I am going to look into getting the tuner to see if there is some changes they can make to the tune. Surely it doesn't need to be really rich when driving around normally.
My friend suggested to move the trans cooler away from I between the rad and condenser. Can't really move the intercooler.