Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Very high under bonnet temps

01SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
I have a vx ss with a vortech v2 crammed under the bonnet. Live in Brisbane and in the summer time I dare not get stuck in traffic or my temperature creeps up until I get moving again. I don't have and any bonnet scoops as I am not a fan and I am keeping the car looking as mild as possible. I have removed the rubber seal at the rear of the engine bay and that has dropped my temperature by a few degrees when driving. I don't really want to go the route of a fiberglass bonnet or reverse cowl. Has anyone with a turbo or supercharged engine just put rear facing vents in to get heat out of the engine bay or have any other ways to extract heat from under the bonnet?

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Hows the condition of radiator, hoses, water pump and fans.

01SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
All was renewed with the new motor 10k ago. Ithe temp doesn't go too high, it sits around 98 degrees, but when stuck in traffic the floor gets so hot I have to have thongs on to touch the foot rest. I have difillipo 4 into 1 extractors, so they are very close to the floor. Since removing the rubber strip at the rear of the engine bay the temp actually drops to about 95 when the thermostat opens. Most ppl I talk to seem to just say to put a reverse cowl on, but I don't really like them.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Maybe some sort of heat shield where the heat is affecting you.

01SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Well I got stuck in traffic the other week and the heat couldn't escape the engine bay, whilst sitting at the lights the temp to to 110C. When I moved it dropped a bit, but next set of lights, 110C again. I guess what I'm asking is about rear facing bonnet vents, anyone had similar problems they just didn't fix with a 2000 dollar savage bonnet or a reverse cowl?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Maybe some sort of heat shield where the heat is affecting you.

That helps cool things under the bonnet.o_O

To the OP....Any sort of bonnet venting will help the heat escape quicker, which seems to be the issue.....What you do about adding vents is your choice....You could try and get the same coloured bonnet through a wrecker and add vents in to see how it goes

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I'm thinking, mounting a thermo fan underneath the engine bay, thermostatically controlled, & suck out the hot air underneath the car when a certain temperature is reached (ex 98).
Only a thought. Would save cutting holes in the bonnet.

01SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Yeah, hadn't thought of that. I know some people argue about bonnet vents because of low pressure areas caused by air rushing over the top. Thermo underneath will help when stuck in traffic. Thank you for the responses, coz not driving the ss due to heat factors is annoying.
Is exhaust wrapping OK for street cars?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You need to make sure your radiator fans are working properly. The VX cooling system is very efficient, and unless someone has fiddled around with the engine (grout filled?) or the engine is running too lean, there should not be excessive under bonnet temperatures in normal driving.