Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Very Low Fuel warning and flashing fuel icon won't go away even when fuel tank is full.

Viking92

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra CX6
I have a Holden Adventra CX6 2005 (VZ) and for a year or more now as soon as I start the engine, the dash shows 'System Check...' then beeps at me flashing 'Very Low Fuel'. Upon start, the fuel gauge moves up to the Empty level and stays there. Other gauges work fine and the distance to empty information is accurate as it shows how many litres are used once I have filled it up (how I know when to fill up). The only way to rid the dash of this 'Very Low Fuel' warning is to press mode button to cycle through to the speedo, trip distance, distance to empty or odo. I had my mechanic run a test on the computer to which he found no error codes. I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue as I'm over it. Cheers.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
That sounds like a software issue to me and if so will be a Holden dealer only fix.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Sounds like you may have a problem with your fuel level sender assembly. Refer to the item below from the Holden VZ service manual.

1623315410112.png

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Sounds like you may have a problem with your fuel level sender assembly. Refer to the item below from the Holden VZ service manual.

View attachment 223103

How can it be a sender issue if the gague reads fine and the trip computer is working.
Too much time in the books mate.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
we had to replace the vz ecm a week ago and only issue is the fuel gauge is on full when we picked it up and i knew it wasn t right
it was on about half when it broke down and i did go back to the mechanic/owner and told him after i fill her up 50ltrs

so he said just reset the trip meter when it hits 300ks than bring it back he need the tank to be about half full to reprogram the ecm that be next week

i had a chat to the mechanic who change the ecm he said the first one they fitted turn out to be faulty car wouldnt start when hot
but fuel gauge was just under half and he did notice the gauge was on full after they fitted the 2nd one

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Also I should learn to read. Just noticed it's a VZ I had VE or VF in my head for some reason. If it's a VZ then yea most scan tools should be able to rectify the issue.
Really most scan tools should be able to do VE-VF but I've found VF to be actually pretty hard to find info on and fix tbh.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Haven't been on the forum for a while but I have the exact same issue. I did a post a while back but no help. I'll get back to you with the details

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
we got the dreaded low fuel service warning annoying jingle and nothing when you turn the key

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
How can it be a sender issue if the gague reads fine and the trip computer is working.
Too much time in the books mate.
There is a particular brand of fuel pump assembly that has this issue. There’s a bit written about it. Could be a cause if it’s been replaced in the past. Remedy, replace with another brand.

If there’s a problem with the cluster, you could try chuck in another cluster (or borrow) and see what the gauge does. It will set codes and warnings. These can be cleared and the cluster set up to suit your car no matter what it was from. Good reason to do a Calais or Stato cluster.

I would suggest that it’s the sender if no codes are being set. The sender is sending inaccurate info and the cluster is simply displaying what it’s told.