Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VERY REGRETFULY!! - Gauge problems - interferance?

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I may be wrong, but I was having similar problems in my VR and it was resolved with a new alternator, you can pick brand new bosch ones up off trade me for $110, and being an ecotec its the right type for your car. Also check/change the grounding of your amp.

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Commodore v6 ecotec
I may be wrong, but I was having similar problems in my VR and it was resolved with a new alternator, you can pick brand new bosch ones up off trade me for $110, and being an ecotec its the right type for your car. Also check/change the grounding of your amp.

the amps are grounded realy well, in the boot aswell, i dont think its the alternater as when the car is running it sits at 14volts and 12v when the car is switched off (normal i think) ill have a look for the alternater tho, would be good to know were it is if thats the case!!

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
I think that yellow wire is for the handbrake warning lamp. It sounds as though you have hooked up a power wire to a signal wire. I would rip it all out, and start afresh. I have mine tapped into the cigarette lighter power/ground wires and it works fine.

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
the power fro mine comes from the cig lighter power and is earthed at the same point as the sterio, dimmer to the light for the gear leaver and obviously the senders go to the sender

i might try wirinh the ground to the cig lioghter ground, but i dont think its that

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok so here are the volt meter readings

acc- 12volts
engine on - just below 14 volts
engine off after drive 13 volts - drained with use of radio or other bits of the car

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
even when my alt was flogged the bat read 14v and 12v etc etc, they can play funny games with you. Mine never got a flat battery when the alt was playing up just alot of electrical gremlins.

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
hmmmmm sounds familar!

ill have to start saving for a new alt, u sure the gauge isnt faulty? the only reason i think that is that the other gauges seem fine

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Unless you can get an alternator for cheaps, i would say put that money towards an auto leccy first, just to let them have a quick sqizz at it to confirm your suspicions. Have you tried just running a temp power wire out your bonnet and in through your window just to test the power supply theory.

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
nope i havent tryd that, how do i make one and attach it safe?

ive prob got all the bits, i just wanna make sure i do it right

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
hmmmmm sounds familar!

ill have to start saving for a new alt, u sure the gauge isnt faulty? the only reason i think that is that the other gauges seem fine

It may not be the prob as said before get an auto elec to check it they should be able to do this in 10 mins, combined with your stereo woes I would think its the alt. also when I upgraded mine I went to a 120A one I think my standard one was 60A or 70A. anyway had a look on trademe for ya and they guy that was doing them for $110 has gone, Ill see what I have at home and see what I can do for ya.