Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VERY REGRETFULY!! - Gauge problems - interferance?

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Commodore v6 ecotec
firsthl let me say how sorry i am to be posting this but

im getting interferance on some of the gauges, the oil pressure works perfictly, no issues with that one, how ever the oil tem and o2 gauge are having massive problems with electrical interferance, eg, bass notes caus the nedles to bounce (this i can live with) the main problem is that when ever the head lights are on (and the gauges are dimmed cuz of the dimmer function) jumps up heaps! by 20+degrees on the oil temp gauge also on long drives when the car is using more power (cooling etc) it reads at 150-160+ degrees, which i know the oil is not at, how do i know that you ask? when i stop the car turn the head lights off it drops to 120c and when i turn the car off (gauges are still on) and it reads a steady 100c - which is what it should be

the o2 gauge is much the same, yesterday i went for a 2 hour drive to auckland, the o2gauge read lean all the way, which im prety sure it shouldent do, and the temp gauge read 180c

we all know that the car would have exploded if those were the case, the oil pressure was great and bang on the whole way

so....... how do i fix the problem?

any help or ideas would be great

im sure others have had this issue

thanks guys, and sorry to be posting about the damn things again!!

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
firsthl let me say how sorry i am to be posting this but

im getting interferance on some of the gauges, the oil pressure works perfictly, no issues with that one, how ever the oil tem and o2 gauge are having massive problems with electrical interferance, eg, bass notes caus the nedles to bounce (this i can live with) the main problem is that when ever the head lights are on (and the gauges are dimmed cuz of the dimmer function) jumps up heaps! by 20+degrees on the oil temp gauge also on long drives when the car is using more power (cooling etc) it reads at 150-160+ degrees, which i know the oil is not at, how do i know that you ask? when i stop the car turn the head lights off it drops to 120c and when i turn the car off (gauges are still on) and it reads a steady 100c - which is what it should be

the o2 gauge is much the same, yesterday i went for a 2 hour drive to auckland, the o2gauge read lean all the way, which im prety sure it shouldent do, and the temp gauge read 180c

we all know that the car would have exploded if those were the case, the oil pressure was great and bang on the whole way

so....... how do i fix the problem?

any help or ideas would be great

im sure others have had this issue

thanks guys, and sorry to be posting about the damn things again!!

I'm no auto sparky - but I'd say you've got a wire joined wrong some place.

I'd try disconnecting the main power to the gauges and run a sep wire feed direct from the battery to see if you can by pass the wire fault. Also check the earths.

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
ill give that a go!!

1 thing tho, all of them are wired to the same plave, so all the power leads are joining to the same sorce, all ground points are connected and running thru 1 point, same with the dimmer, the only things that arnt wired in a group is the sender lines

could that have somthing to do with it?

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
also im running all three gauges off a 10amp fuze, could this be causing one gauge to be getting full power and the other 2 to be getting half or less power?? - im totaly lost when it comes to this

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
No that wont be the issue. Do they do it when the gauges are not dimmed, but still lit up with the dimmer off and all your head lights still on.

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
yea they do it when there not dimmed, havent tryd it wothout the dimmer and the head lights on though.

they also "pulse" when i have one of my indicators on

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
ide say run them to a different power sorce even run a tempory wire direct from the battery and try it

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
It sort of sounds like they are suffering from a voltage loss all to do with the lighting cct. As above try powering the gauges off a seperate supply direct from the battery. Also if you havnt already make sure the battery terminals are clean, but i dont think that will be the problem.

Yeah the base note will obviously affect them as your battery voltage will drop a little and cause the gauges references to read out slightly.

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
tonight im putting in a volt meter, so ill be able to move the other gauges arround a bit, wireing wise, im currently running all 3 gauges off 1 cig lighter wire, what if i run them of of the 2 wires for the cig lighter, would that work? i want to avoid wiring direct from the bat, cuz i dont want the gauges to be on all the time

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok the voltmeter gauge is in!

and somthing very strange has happned, i wired it into the same points as the other gauges so now oil pressure (works fine) volts (works fine) and oil temp (gives false readings) are all wired together, the o2 gauge ive taken out and ive set it up as a plug and play basicly.

i think the oil temp gauge is faulty, the reason why is that the volt meter wasnt "jumping" when i switchd on lights or indicators (or even turned the car to acc!!)

it was falling by an amount i would expect, and even under heavy bass load the drop wasent huge (im running a 1farad capacator with my amps - 1450watts of power lol)

HOWEVER the oil pressure gauge was jumping and bouncing arround like mad, and on the 5min drive home it managed to be reading 180c (when the car is completly turned off but with power still on to the gauges/cig lighter it read 110c and changed up as soon is i put the car into acc), turning the car to acc makes it change (goes up by 10c) headlights (goes up by 10-20c) indicator (bounces perfectly intime with the indicaotr by 5c) bass is great fun to watch the gauge handle hahaha

so does that sound like a faulty gauge or could it be a wireing problem still?

oh also WHAT THE HELL IS THIS????

its a random wire i spotted, could it be used as power? more over what the hell does it do or go for that matter?

wires.jpg

Last edited: