Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Very Rough Running when cold - Mechanic and Auto electrician can't diagnose

jiffjiff78

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl sl v8
vt running rough cold

hi all i know im late with this answer, but ive only just had the problem myself, and i solved it, under the throttle body or air intake with the butterfly flap there is two hoses one that is short goes straight to the valley cover (i just touched it and it snapped) the other has a rubber elbow on it (on mine it wasnt even connected) and it goes to the back of the motor, i replaced both these hoses and now the car runs perfect. also the other hint was it sounded like it had a carby not fuel injected lol (even though i liked that haha) hope this can help someone out.

NadieD

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
Hey thanks slowandlow, yeah some good options there. The mechanic said he noticed a slight manifold gasket leak when the car was cold but he reckoned that would not be related. I wondered whether this leak may have been throwing some sensor of track?
Did you ever sort it out

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Did you ever sort it out
From the previous page … :rolleyes:

Hi Guys

Sorry about the long time gap since last post. It has taken a while and also needed a new auto-sparky on the job but the guys did find the solution. Actually many of you guys found the solution way back :-( It was (as some of you suggested) a faulty Crank Angle Sensor.

The real curve ball in this whole process is that it was a brand new sensor that was causing the issue. The mechanic and auto-electrician did some tests on it - but probably only while in-car etc.

There was a secondary issue of a blocked catalytic converter also. This became evident when they put the car under load on the dyno.

So a big thank you to you guys for the advice, and suggestions. The mechanics and auto sparky felt bad about the time it took to diagnose and fix and as such have only charged for parts at cost and virtually no labour. So other than having no car for three months it has worked out well.

Cheers Guys!
Reading the whole thread can help…