Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

very slow crank when hot

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
hey guys, i've noticed previously that, occasionally, when the car is hot and been driven for a while it's really slow to crank over. by this i mean really really slow. one crank took like 3 seconds, and this can happen for like 3 cranks. then it starts up a bit dodgy, but runs fine. usually between 1/4 and 1/2 temperature reading... anyone know anything about this lol?? it happened twice today...

funny thing is, when the engine is cold, it starts perfect. as mentioned above, this only happens occasionally. like once a month kinda thing. otherwise it's fine... any suggestions?

W

whisky

hey guys, i've noticed previously that, occasionally, when the car is hot and been driven for a while it's really slow to crank over. by this i mean really really slow. one crank took like 3 seconds, and this can happen for like 3 cranks. then it starts up a bit dodgy, but runs fine. usually between 1/4 and 1/2 temperature reading... anyone know anything about this lol?? it happened twice today...

funny thing is, when the engine is cold, it starts perfect. as mentioned above, this only happens occasionally. like once a month kinda thing. otherwise it's fine... any suggestions?

It's the starter.

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
even though every other time, it starts absoluely perfectly???

but fair enough if it is...

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If its cranking slow when hot then the clue is "when its hot". Electrical resistance increases with temperature meaning that the hotter it is the less work the electrical thingo can do. It possibly is your starter motor but first off I'd check your battery connections - remove them and make sure they have good metal to metal connection - remove all corrosion, lubricate with vaseline or any grease and tighten. Also check the connections to the starter motor but I'd bet 5 cents to a dollar that its your battery terminals.
One last thought - its not unheard of for a battery to lose capacity when hot due to internal shorting - but like I said its pretty unusual....and again the symptoms are the same as dirty terminals. Good Luck.

W

whisky

If its cranking slow when hot then the clue is "when its hot". Electrical resistance increases with temperature meaning that the hotter it is the less work the electrical thingo can do. It possibly is your starter motor but first off I'd check your battery connections - remove them and make sure they have good metal to metal connection - remove all corrosion, lubricate with vaseline or any grease and tighten. Also check the connections to the starter motor but I'd bet 5 cents to a dollar that its your battery terminals.
One last thought - its not unheard of for a battery to lose capacity when hot due to internal shorting - but like I said its pretty unusual....and again the symptoms are the same as dirty terminals. Good Luck.

You're on, I got 50 cents on the starter.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
i got same problem except this is everytime the engine is hot it ro ro ro ro then starts, even now sometime when cold is starting to do it a few times, could b battery as the stereo flashes to the beat and i dnt have a sub, i should check the power of the battery when starting and check the alt output too thinking it might be the starter motor too

spac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pac S2 M5
Sounds like ti might be a battery.. If its cranking but slowly. Pinch someones new battery and test with that??!!

S

Sleak_VS

Its the starter, I had the same problem, felt like I was trying to turn over a top fuel dragster motor when it was hot.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
If the battery is over 2 years old, ditch it and get a new one. Even if it doesnt fix your problem, its a good start, and will save you another problem in a few months.

Famine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Get someone to jump start you, if it turns over quickly its the battery, if its still slow its the starter motor?