Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

very strange cooling problem....

Darkk_Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais Supercharged V6
i have a supercharged VT and today i noticed as i got home a pretty solid stream of water comin from the front passengers side so naturally i thought i had a leak but i looked at the temp guage and all was normal even used the dash functions to bring up the digital temp and it got to about 105 degrees then the fans kicked in and dropped back down to about 95, i checked all the hoses and found the top radiator hose had come away just a little bit so i fixed it filled it and bleed it just to make sure, i ran it and all was good no leak so i turned it off went inside and played xbox for an hour or so came back started it and the leak was back but not as bad so i checked the water level it was all good turned it off turned it back on and the leak stopped and since then it has only been back once in the last 3 days...
My question is has anyone else had any other problem like this or even heard of anythin similar it seems pretty odd to me

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
check you radiator cap rubber and also see if its coming from the overflow bottle. i had a similar problem and the cap was stuffed so as soon as it go warm it would fill up the overflow till it overflowed but it started out ass an occasional thing until it did it all the time.

9C1pack

Reaction score
The plastic side tanks on the radiator are prone to cracking, it may be only cracked enough to let out coolant under pressure (when you stop) and then close up.

Darkk_Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais Supercharged V6
Thanks guys, I've had a bit of a look at it some more I think its the tank like 9C1pack said.. oh well more money into the car.. would anyone happen to know how much for a new radiator roughly?

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Normally it is the 'hot' side tank to split,(R/H side), mine did. I foolishly had the tank replaced, cost me $130. Then I found out that I could have bought a new complete radiator for around the $170 mark. (standard non charged V6)