Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VERY URGENT: VR electrical issue

Ghosty85

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR S2 Acclaim
Hi folks,

I've previously started a thread in the VR/VS general section, with NO luck (as no-one has replied).

My VR Acclaim (Series II - converted to BW T5) has a rather crippling electrical fault somewhere, and I need to know where to find it.

Symptoms shown (or smelt):
* blowing 20A engine fuse (still an issue), and 15A f/pump fuse (now not an issue).
* a burning smell (my wife told me a couple of days after she smelt it...).
* disconnected f/pump stopped the f/pump fuse blowing - but f/pump tested to be good! (As well as a spare that I've also got).
* motor will now crank over (f/pump disconnected from f/pump loom and running from an external 15A 12V fused power source), but, when cranking stops (start failed), the 20A engine fuse blows. (Have blown 25A & 30A fuses in the fuse socket as well - once we ran out of 20A fuses).

I have on hand:
* 3 VR V6 coil packs (spares for the existing).
* A VP starter motor (in GOOD cond' - as a direct replacement part, ready to fit).
* A VP f/pump (actually in the tank - as near-new f/pump was taken out to be checked - also in GOOD cond').

My wife and I REALLY NEED this car working!!! So, this is URGENT!!! PLS - NEED HELP!!!

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Mate if it's that urgent take it to a workshop, theres a few around that will take a look and diagnose the problem for you but won't charge for it.
Unfortunately i have nothing to add on this issue, but i can recommend some good workshops in the geelong area.

Good luck.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
what number fuse is blowing for the engine ? is it fuse 25 feeding the pcm or ecm? Fuel pump fuse 23 which is 15 amp feeds 12v to the contacts of the fuel pump relay and then if relay picked up( controlled by the ecm) straight to the pump

Ghosty85

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR S2 Acclaim
I'm not in Vic mate - I'm on the nth coast of NSW. As for getting it to a workshop... that's a problem, as it's the only reg vehicle we have with a towbar! =S

It's the fuses in the engine bay themselves that are blowing - not the ones under the dash. I don't know their numbers. =S (Just know they're next to the 5 main fuses).

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Have you checked to see if something isn't melted where you can smell something burnt???

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
So its the fuse 25 probably feeding the ecm or pcm..its a 20amp..... fuel pump fuse 23 .... how have you set up the computer wiring for the t5 and what engine management computer are you using? Fuel pump fuse solely feeds the fuel pump via the contacts of the fuel pump relay .The fuel pump relay is supplied 12v from the ecm maybe you have wires shorted somewhere around the relay or something is wrong with the relay.
When you get oil pressure 12v from fuse 25 is supplied to the normally closed contacts of the fuel pump relay so should the relay fail as long as the engine has oil pressure you can make it home.
Here is a vr auto wiring diagram showing fuse 23 and 25
36259d1174085701-vr-v6-computer-wiring-vr-computer2sm.jpg

and manual computer showing those fuses
36255d1174083868-vr-v6-computer-wiring-vr-man2nd.jpg

Ghosty85

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR S2 Acclaim
Thanks for that Markovr, but, I still don't understand (and/or follow) the schematic.

Today, we couldn't even get the car to crank via the ignition - only via the purple wire in the engine bay. I'm really at a loss as to where and what exactly to look at.

My father spoke to an auto electrician today, who (after being told the symptoms) said to check the terminals on the starter motor - which were unmoved, and in good condition. We tried to crank the car (via the purple wire,) up onto ramps with 2 batteries, and a 600amp battery (jumpstart) pack... but, this failed - miserably! =(

Ghosty85

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR S2 Acclaim
My little brother has suggested that I replace the oil pressure switch. Could this be the problem? And, if so - really so simple??? =S

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Just disconnect the oil switch connector and see if anything changes..saves you buying a new one for nothing...on another thought ,the fuel pump relay is the only thing common to both those fuses..are you sure you have the right type of relay plugged in for it?

Ghosty85

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR S2 Acclaim
I've tried several different relays - none of which really make any difference at all.