Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF 2 ls3 ssv. Custom tune + otr 246rwkw.

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
look at the gains not the number the actual gain is average to what people get from those mods, most others start higher and end with same gain its just different dyno calcs
What do u think about doing headers + cats + retune for next upgrades and leaving the catback stock so it can be quieter? Will i lose much kw & torque?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
What do u think about doing headers + cats + retune for next upgrades and leaving the catback stock so it can be quieter? Will i lose much kw & torque?
headers and cats are good to do it gets the flow out and the rest will be fine it will keep torque low and very quiet all u really need is stock rear mufflers to keep any sounds down for cruising then with throttle sounds good

Jackel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv 2
headers and cats are good to do it gets the flow out and the rest will be fine it will keep torque low and very quiet all u really need is stock rear mufflers to keep any sounds down for cruising then with throttle sounds good
As long as the higher flow due to the headers + cats doesnt disintegrate the stock catback mufflers over time.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
As long as the higher flow due to the headers + cats doesnt disintegrate the stock catback mufflers over time.
it won't be any worse then a totally stock exhsust, i ran headers into 2.5'' then into stock rear mufflers with 14 psi boost for few years without issue

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
the whole strapping down is due to the lesser hp cars if u strap them down too hard they will show less hp from the contact load, the higher hp cars have to be strapped down as tight as u can get cos otherwise the spin the tyres, as long as the tyres are on the roller the only affect can be tyre pressures changing the diameter, if dyno operator uses different gear and adds it to the dyno calc then it will read same, but most don't change calc to suit gears so it reads slightly off
When mine was done, tach input wasn’t hooked up and variables weren’t changed. It was an older dyno so maybe a factor.

It was strapped down HARD. Said he straps all cars down the same

Plan to take it to the drags early may anyway. Should give a bit more of an indication I spose

Gotta_Drive_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 HSV Clubsport R8 LS3 E3
Hey guys!
After a custom tune & otr my VF2 ls3 ssv made 246rwkw. Stock was 218rwkw.
To me this doesnt sound right, sounds pretty low but i could be wrong.
What does everyone think?
I have found that a real general rule of thumb that OTR, EXHAUST & HEADERS + tune upgrade will generally give rwkw of whatever flywheel kw was. As an example a 260kw L77 with those upgrades becomes roughly 260rwkw. Not sure if this still applies to 6.2L. Maybe someone that has had said mods could confirm if say a 6.2L LS3 Clubby at 317kw flywheel would go to roughly 317rwkw. My 2012 VE SS UTE went from 260kw standard to 269 rwkw and its easy to see why when the stock headers come off!!!, they belong on a go cart and would probably still choke that!.

Last edited:

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Yep, that's what I got. L77 270fwkw stock.Now makes 270rwkw with exhaust otr and tune. Also running E85.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
No not quite those mods will not turn flywheel into rear wheel unless your tuner is really good a fudging the numbers. Like others have said the increase in torque across the rev range is more important as with gains in anything other than WOT.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
When mine was done, tach input wasn’t hooked up and variables weren’t changed. It was an older dyno so maybe a factor.

It was strapped down HARD. Said he straps all cars down the same

Plan to take it to the drags early may anyway. Should give a bit more of an indication I spose
im not sure with others on dyno but when i got mine done to get the proper torque figure we had to run the dyno at a set speed/gear and then input that engine rpm into the dyno so it could make the correct torque calculation, the track will always show a lower calc hp then the dyno because the dyno can hold 100% of your torque/hp and then let it go, thus with the quarter unless u can get down at 100% throttle for 100% of the run u wont show a true figure, thats where so many big hp dyno cars dont get the quarter numbers, i always say put 15" stockies on a pro drag car and then see what number it does... it wont equal its engine hp

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I’d use 1/4 mile times to compare between stock and modified ls’, not necessarily to work out power figures

1/4 mile times are a much better indication of a street car’s overall performance imo. Comparing dyno figures is like comparing apples to oranges - unless doing back to back runs on the same dyno.