Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF 6.2L - calling oil & engine gurus!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
My advice is don’t play with different oil viscosities trying to quiet down a noisy engine if you hope to be able to make any statutory warranty claim from the seller/manufacturer...

Messing with oils is a sure fire method of pissing away your ability to make a claim... So stick to manufacture recommended oil viscosity and type and stick to their maintenance schedule diligently.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
gday guys

have a VF is use mainly for commuting. its a manual with 50,000kms. It's got a lot of engine noise on cold start. I'm very confident it's lifters and piston slap. I've been experimenting with oil and found Castrol edge 5/30 gives the best (least noise) on cold start but the motor has like ping or slap under unmatched load - like the noise you'd if you're doing 40 in 4th - but it occurs with higher than normal driving RPM when the engine is warm on a warm day (suggesting the oil is thinning) - CLearly I have a problem and haven't yet lodged a claim with HOlden nor do I like my chances.

I recently put semi syth 5/40 penrite in it and it is quite as a mouse when warm but nosier for longer and louder when cold. It's unsettling actually. It lasted about 45-60 seconds tonight at 23 degrees ambient (god know is would be insanely louder for an eternity in winter).

So go back to Castrol 5/30 because too much damage with the heavier 5/40 oil on cold start or just drive to Holden and lodge a claim? I'm pretty flippin over this **** heap of an engine.

On a separate note- I just did oils and the diff was beyond filthy with that much metallic yet the gearbox was perfectly crystal clear pink ATF - like new.

Cheers guys

Diffs should be changed at 40k as they wear in.

robherron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
This is probably far from relevant but I used to get tappet noise on start up in an old Falcon which stopped as soon as I started using Castrol Magnatec .These days I use the Penrite Fully synthetic 5/40 in my Commodore which seems like good oil but whether it clings to parts for hours after shutdown as Magnatec is supposed to do I wouldn't know.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
This is probably far from relevant but I used to get tappet noise on start up in an old Falcon which stopped as soon as I started using Castrol Magnatec .These days I use the Penrite Fully synthetic 5/40 in my Commodore which seems like good oil but whether it clings to parts for hours after shutdown as Magnatec is supposed to do I wouldn't know.
cheers dude

Last edited:

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
My advice is don’t play with different oil viscosities trying to quiet down a noisy engine if you hope to be able to make any statutory warranty claim from the seller/manufacturer...

Messing with oils is a sure fire method of pissing away your ability to make a claim... So stick to manufacture recommended oil viscosity and type and stick to their maintenance schedule diligently.
I sampled many oils with a 304 that has a cold knock. brought on the inevitable a little sooner and cost me a set of lifters too btw... sound advice bro

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Update - well the overnight temps hit 15 degrees this morning

Last edited: