Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF annoying window/door rattle

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Paulie81, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Paulie81

Paulie81 Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
    With only 2200km on the clock, my VFii redline has had a intermittent rattle/creek noise from the front passenger door around the window. It sometimes happens on the drivers side door and occours even on the most slightly bumy of roads. Its most of the time from the passenger side and occasionally from the drivers door. Its hard to exactly pinpoint where it is coming from but from what I can tell, I suspect its coming from the hard black plastic piece running from the top of the door down to the bottom trim where the door lock button is. See attached pic for example. Does anyone have this issue and have you managed to successfully fix it to stop the annoying creeking noise? Thanks
    IMG_4845 (1).jpg

2. vk2him

vk2him Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline
    If it's like mine - it's probably coming from the seat belt retractor behind the white plastic cover ....

3. SSVREDLINE2014

SSVREDLINE2014 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline
    Did you manage to do something about it?

4. tommy_z

tommy_z Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Director
    This issue happened to my VF I on the drivers door. Something was sounding loose from within the door locking mechanism. The rattle only stopped if I opened the window. Sent it back to the dealer under warranty, they replaced something under the door card and haven't had a problem since. Would suggest making an appointment to have it fixed under warranty (would assume this should be the case as it's a VF II only so still new).

5. Paulie81

Paulie81 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Yes mine also goes away with the window open. Do you know the specifics of what part was replaced?

6. bigjim92

bigjim92 Active Member

Members Ride:
    2016 VF SSVR
    I've had multiple door rattles, found the issue to be the striker. I tried adjusting it with no luck. My solution for this was to add a little bit of spring wrap, no more rattles.
    Look at older model commodores, the striker had a black plastic on them, current ones are bare metal.

metalfossil and Paul Cordingley like this.
  7. duaned

duaned Active Member

Members Ride:
    M6 Red Hot MSE
    Spring wrap?

8. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    I think its the plastic 'spaghetti tubing' that's wrapped around wiring harness's.

9. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV30 Senator (w/end), '00 Magna, '17 Carnival
    Same issue with mine...a couple of loops of electrical tape around the door strikers fixed it. :)

10. tommy_z

tommy_z Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Director
    I have forgotten sorry, but the responses since about the tape around the wiring is a potential issue? Regardless I would be taking it to my dealer for fixing.

11. Paulie81

Paulie81 Active Member

Members Ride:
    ok thanks but to be honest it does not sound like its coming from the striker. All does not explain why it goes away when the window is moved down.

12. lmoengnr

Members Ride:
    Not an actual wiring problem, but using 'harness wrap' around the striker.

13. lmoengnr

Members Ride:
    It might be altering the harmonics of the door, especially with airflow around the car.

14. Paulie81

Paulie81 Active Member

Members Ride:
    ao any suggestions on what I should say to the dealer when I take it in. Generally them seem clueless to these issues. Its as if they never serviced a Commodore before.

ITOONS likes this.
  15. treesnake

treesnake Member

Members Ride:
    VF Sv6 SII Sedan
    I have something similar and believe its harmonics which is a pain in the as to diagnose. When the window is down, the window is not hard fixed in position (it can move around alot more). When the window is up, it is locked hard again the door frame, making the whole door more rigid. Any small vibration coming from the car, will then amplify/excite and rattle the now stiff door. The door then vibrates on the rubber door seal making a annoying noise. On mine, the door speaker wire was not tied down, so it also then rattled on the back of the speaker. I sprayed some silicon spray onto the rubber door seal which helped a little, but is not a fix.

The vibrations could come from many sources, mine is from the engine/gearbox, it is smooth 98% of the time but every time i transition through certain rpms, it will buzz the top corner of the door with the window up. Worse when its cold, so I suspect the engine/gearbox mounts are stiffer, and transfer a more intense harmonic vibration.

Holden told me most people just have the music up and dont take note.

16. Paulie81

Paulie81 Active Member

Members Ride:
    Great work Holden!! LOL

chunda likes this.
  17. Paul Cordingley

Paul Cordingley Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS-V Redline MY15 Series 1
    Big Jim - I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH for this post!!

My SSVR MY15 has made an annoying clunk in the driver's and the left-rear passenger door ever since I bought her 18 months ago, whenever going over a rough patch of road, pothole, bump, whatever. I have been back to Holden THREE TIMES to have this sorted over the 18 months, even having a loaner car on the third occasion. They've replaced clips, taken the door off and re-hung (supposedly), used silicone sealants etc. Never made a bit of difference. Drove me nuts.

I was resigned to this being the single sore spot in this car, which I love otherwise.

Then I came across this post - applied some red electrical tape neatly to all four strikers - and now complete silence. No more clunks. I just can't believe it.

I can't thank you enough. Seems so obvious to me now, but I never made the connection. I will be telling the service department next time she's due (they're truly hopeless).

Paulie81 likes this.
  18. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    You've probably already poked around & found it's not the problem we had; which was an annoying rattle, but only when nobody was sitting in that seat (which made it a pain to find).
    Turned out we weren't returning the seat-belt "tongue" in the proper orientation, the front was sitting against the seat which was making the back of it rattle against the interior-trim of the B-pillar. We carefully put it back properly now, so no noise, except of course when we've had another passenger ...

19. Sir Les

Sir Les Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V V6 MY14
    Yup, had the same problem, took me ages to find the solution until I read a thread about it some time ago in this forum. Whenever I hear that rattle now I just lean over and straighten the belt, and the rattle goes away. You can tell the wife a hundred times to leave the seat belt hanging correctly, but will she listen.....?

Re the door striker trick, I'm just beginning to get the odd noise from the driver's door when going over a bump (the car's done 27k kms). Time to get the electrical tape out!

ITOONS likes this.
  20. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV30 Senator (w/end), '00 Magna, '17 Carnival
    Yep, tape worked a charm for me with an annoying drivers door rattle over bumps. Couple of loops and job done ✅