Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF annoying window/door rattle

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
I have located the source of the noise as my drivers side door is also doing it now. Its coming from the section of the interior door panel. Its more of a creaking sound than a rattle from either plastic or rubber friction . I can replicate the sound by pushing and pulling on that top part of the door highlighted in the below pic. Anyone else experiencing this and know of a solution?

IMG_4845 (1).jpg

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual

Flo Rider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
I have located the source of the noise as my drivers side door is also doing it now. Its coming from the section of the interior door panel. Its more of a creaking sound than a rattle from either plastic or rubber friction . I can replicate the sound by pushing and pulling on that top part of the door highlighted in the below pic. Anyone else experiencing this and know of a solution?

View attachment 189774

Apply some silicone lubricant to the rubber door seals and to the bailey channel around the windows. I do this as part of general maintenance and it eliminates door rattles and friction noise that develop as a result of not re-applying this lubricant.

I use the WD-40 High Performance Silicone Lubricant which you can get from Bunnings for about $10. Comes in a spray can and is easy to apply.

bbunnys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VFII SS
Apply some silicone lubricant to the rubber door seals and to the bailey channel around the windows. I do this as part of general maintenance and it eliminates door rattles and friction noise that develop as a result of not re-applying this lubricant.

I use the WD-40 High Performance Silicone Lubricant which you can get from Bunnings for about $10. Comes in a spray can and is easy to apply.

Wonder if this will fix mine, will give it a go. I also have a creaking sound around drivers door. Seems like when window shut and I go over a pot hole or bump in the road. All around the window where it seals to door. It creaks and makes noise. Almost like door is twisting slightly.
Its like the build quality and fit just are not right. Due for its first service soon so will see what Holden say. But makes the car feel a bit cheap having this creaking around the door.

Might also try tape on the striker and see if that helps. Are people just putting a bit of electrical tape around the metal circular part
2017-05-16 08_48_57-16_05_2017 08_48_17 AM - IBM Notes.jpg

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Yup, electrical tape around that circular part is exactly what I've just done to stop the driver's door from rattling over bumps. And it works a treat! I never had the problem until recently, but at 30,000 km and 2.5 years old it started to develop. God bless whoever it was who posted that tip in this forum!

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
I experienced this issue early on as I drive the car on dirt and rough roads. Complained to the dealer on several occasions and the service manager put a black cloth like sticky tape similar to what is used to wrap electrical wiring in some applications and the door rattles went away. I was very dubious. I first thought that he was p*ssing in my pocket but it did work. I found the tape he put on gets destroyed with use so I now put standard electrical tape when required around the strikers and the noise goes away. As a member has noted the VE had a black plastic ring around the striker. Why does the VF not have this considering the doors shells are the same except for the outer shell which is 1mm thinner are they not. Surely it is not a cost saving measure. ??

metalfossil

Reaction score
I've had multiple door rattles, found the issue to be the striker. I tried adjusting it with no luck. My solution for this was to add a little bit of spring wrap, no more rattles.
Look at older model commodores, the striker had a black plastic on them, current ones are bare metal.

I'd like to thank you for your excellent post. After coming back from Kangaroo Island my car developed a rattle that was driving me mad. The tape fixed the rattle...However, It leaves me wondering (and it seems the problem is cropping up regularly) why only my driver's door: and has the mechanism door moved? Thanks again

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I'd like to thank you for your excellent post. After coming back from Kangaroo Island my car developed a rattle that was driving me mad. The tape fixed the rattle...However, It leaves me wondering (and it seems the problem is cropping up regularly) why only my driver's door: and has the mechanism door moved? Thanks again
Probably as it gets used more? Possibly the metal striker, wears the plastic actuator cam?

CHP73

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 VF1 Sportwagon
You've probably already poked around & found it's not the problem we had; which was an annoying rattle, but only when nobody was sitting in that seat (which made it a pain to find).
Turned out we weren't returning the seat-belt "tongue" in the proper orientation, the front was sitting against the seat which was making the back of it rattle against the interior-trim of the B-pillar. We carefully put it back properly now, so no noise, except of course when we've had another passenger ...

I had the same problem and could not localise the rattle. It was a seatbelt buckle... I then bought a sheet of self adhesive black thin felt on eBay and neatly cut a nice square plate and stuck it to the pillar trim exactly where the buckle was hitting. Problem solved for good and the wife less stressed :)

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I had the same problem and could not localise the rattle. It was a seatbelt buckle... I then bought a sheet of self adhesive black thin felt on eBay and neatly cut a nice square plate and stuck it to the pillar trim exactly where the buckle was hitting. Problem solved for good and the wife less stressed :)

When you say seat belt buckle was that the passagers side or back seat belt buckles?