Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF bimodal pin diagram

Maz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R M6
I am working on a prototype for a Arduino base Bluetooth/Android controller for my bimodal exhaust. Got nearly everything to built the first prototype except for the 5 pin plugs.
Here is a video of my proof of concept and is where I am at so far. It is fully functional but not practical and far from pretty.
Hi John - looks like your vid is unavailable. I'm interested to see how you've gone with this.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I also had problems viewing the video when i first clicked on it a few days ago but on the following day it worked without issue. Computers...., go figure ;)

As to your Arduino project, great prototype :cool:

Not knowing much about how Holden has coded the logic for it's Bimodal exhaust, does your prototype need BT connection to the vehicle data via ODBII or is it just an easy way to switch it without needing lots of cabling into the cabin?

Do you have a web page for this project and are you planning on open sourcing your Arduino code and circuit diagram? :cool:

Last edited:

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
Not knowing much about how Holden has coded the logic for it's Bimodal exhaust, does your prototype need BT connection to the vehicle data via ODBII or is it just an easy way to switch it without needing lots of cabling into the cabin?

Do you have a web page for this project and are you planning on open sourcing your Arduino code and circuit diagram? :cool:
The Car I am putting the bimodal exhaust on (Holden WN Caprice) does not have bimodal support, so this solution simply allows me the open and close the value without the need to run cables into the cable. The is no ODBII port support in my prototype, but one day I might be play with the idea.
This prototype is basic and just to prove the basics work. The Bluetooth protocol I am using has no error checking and no security. So there is work to do there. I also planning to add EEPROM support to allow the last selected mode to be automatically recalled on startup. The project is not open source yet, but in the coming weeks I will set something up on github.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Looking forward to the code on github and hopefully you’ll include the circuit diagrams as well within some linked web page.

Pity MyLink isn’t more open as installing an app on that would have remove the need for the phone being a requirement. But it does sounds like it would be a trivial mod to your prototype to include a manual toggle switch somewhere in the cabin cabled to the Arduino which is itself cabled to the rear muffler motor, needing no MyLink or phone app :)

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
The toggle switch idea is already on the plan, although I probably wont use it myself. Because the heart of this is an Arduino, I can implement an infrared Remote, or a RFID tag, a numeric pin code panel, a toggle switch, an illuminated momentary push button. You name it, it is probably an easy add to the Arduino. These are all things that can be looked into as the project matures.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
The toggle switch idea is already on the plan, although I probably wont use it myself. Because the heart of this is an Arduino, I can implement an infrared Remote, or a RFID tag, a numeric pin code panel, a toggle switch, an illuminated momentary push button. You name it, it is probably an easy add to the Arduino. These are all things that can be looked into as the project matures.
If you can package this up into a DIY kit at a reasonable price, I'm in!

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
The project has come to a halt at the moment due to available time and a hurdle I haven't worked out yet. I'll post up an updated video on where it is at at the moment. I have a fully functional prototype now and a much more refined android app, but the problem I am having is power. I have located accessories power but found that on a remote start, the accessories do not power up and the valves will not close. I need to locate a power source when ignition is on. I've got 119 pages of wiring diagrams to go through and haven't had the time to decipher them yet. But on a quick skim through the schematics, it looks like I may have to run wires to the front of the car after all. I was trying to avoid extra spaghetti throughout the car.

IMG_5564s.JPG

Last edited:

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
The project has just had a breaktrought thanks to Stooge. I had already checked for a fuse in the boot for ignition and must have missed it. Haven't had time to go over it again. Stooge has found the correct fuse (as shown here https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/electronic-bi-modal-valves.272608/) and it means this project can come to life after all. I'll post some info on the weekend with a video.