Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Black Holden Lion badges?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Wait. I’ve been and looked up what the Tamiya paint is. Enamel in a mini tin for ants is what I used to use as a kid. This spray on stuff appears to be a lacquer rather than an enamel or acrylic.
Is that going to hold up well being softer?

I was going to use black epoxy and a clear epoxy gloss over it. One badge I need to get white lettering into it to reverse how it is now. I will need black, then some white and sand off the white (to leave the recessed bit white) and gloss clear over it.

Stick the badge down onto some wood with double sided carpet tape.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Wait. I’ve been and looked up what the Tamiya paint is. Enamel in a mini tin for ants is what I used to use as a kid. This spray on stuff appears to be a lacquer rather than an enamel or acrylic.
Is that going to hold up well being softer?

I was going to use black epoxy and a clear epoxy gloss over it. One badge I need to get white lettering into it to reverse how it is now. I will need black, then some white and sand off the white (to leave the recessed bit white) and gloss clear over it.

Stick the badge down onto some wood with double sided carpet tape.
If you have recessed writing you want a different colour spray your main colour first let it dry thoroughly for a couple days then tape around the lettering and spray with a water based paint then remove the tape and wash the surface paint off with a soft dampish/wet rag then spray over the top with a clear.
20211021_051058.jpg

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I like what you’ve done there. So you’ve used water based black for the lettering. What type of paint is the green and what clear gloss did you use? Also how long ago was it done?

Mine will be gloss black with white lettering. I have some water based gloss white enamel that I’ve been using on the doors of the house.
I’ll test the combo with a few test samples. Which should be easy enough.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I like what you’ve done there. So you’ve used water based black for the lettering. What type of paint is the green and what clear gloss did you use? Also how long ago was it done?

Mine will be gloss black with white lettering. I have some water based gloss white enamel that I’ve been using on the doors of the house.
I’ll test the combo with a few test samples. Which should be easy enough.
Geez TBH i'm not 100% sure , the first one i did i got some paint off the spray painter who painted my trim , and that one was painted by a repairer from an insurance claim because it got damaged ,I had to explain the process to him , so i guess its what ever they use at a body shop. When i did the first one i just used an acrylic clear from Supercheap and a black water based paint from Bunning's and i'm guesing the green is just an acrylic. Its been a year or 2 since that one was done

Last edited:

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Thanks everyone for your input. I will look at some of the options mentioned on here.