Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF boot sedan meant to fully spring open?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Well that answers the first question, it is supposed to open fully! I thought I read years ago something about the VF boot being able to fully open when the VE couldn't due to lightweight materials!

Judging by others replies strut issues are pretty common as the cars age.
My Calais without a spoiler used to fully open when new which was a pain before they fixed the 5 second keyfob remote delay. The Redline only pops up a little because of the spoiler. I prefer it only to open a little.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
My wagon struts didn't completely fail but one day all of a sudden became a lot harder to open and close.
Genuine at trade price were not cheap @ $60ea. I'd get aftermarket ones should it happen again.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
My sedan has never fully opened, barely makes it 50mm probably. I figured that was just what it did!

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
There’s a company near me who sell gas struts of all different sizes and strengths.
I bought a couple for the front boot lid of my fibreglass campervan which had basically no umph in them from new and just went worse over the time. Disappointing really, given that you don’t open and close a campervan boot lid that often.
When I got the new ones I had the choice of strength and chose ones that were about twice the resistance of the old ones. (didn’t want to go too strong as it’s only a fibreglass boot lid which is a bit bendy and flexible.) Anyway, just a couple of years on and still not that much use, I feel like these struts have lost there initial umph.

Maybe it’s just crappy quality I don’t know as I haven’t looked at the label which is likely to tell me it was made in China, but I do suspect that may be the case.
I owned a 98 Falcon wagon for four years and a 2002 Falcon for nearly ten years and used them daily lifting their tailgates many times throughout the day, and never had a problem with the struts.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I owned a 98 Falcon wagon for four years and a 2002 Falcon for nearly ten years and used them daily lifting their tailgates many times throughout the day, and never had a problem with the struts.
I could be very easily convinced that this is un-Australian.

Everyone knows that from AU onwards, the Falcon tailgate is supposed to be propped-up by a block of wood!

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
For reference for those that will need to change their struts. Either already posted or those in the future that come across this thread. All thats needed to get new struts is body size (8mm/18mm). Extended ength ball to ball and the Newton meters (pressure). Most good industrial or automotive suppliers should be able to figure it from there.

If it you want it stronger, up the NM value. Some stores and suppliers don't charge if you need to send them back for more gas. But remember you can’t take pressure out.

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
I've got the Strut Regas guys coming this week. $88.

PRNDL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 and VH Vacationer 253
My 15 VF Calais sedan with a lip spoiler opened just enough to be convenient and easy to lift from there. I don’t remember it ever opening fully, if it did it was rare.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
I've got the Strut Regas guys coming this week. $88.
Cr*p! That's expensive! Considering something has already happened to those original struts to make them degas themselves.

Struts Australia are who my company use all the time for custom ones. You can buy two new ones off them direct - including shipping - and your still going to be better off. If you have time to pull out. I'd highly recommend doing that and going new. If you want to go local, I think they mostly sell through Industrial stores but some auto stores can get off them as well. Both are pretty close in price compared to going direct. Like I said in an earlier post. 8/18 bodies (link above). Find the closest length +/- 5mm in ball to ball extended length (A measurement) . Then just tell them the amount of newtons to gas it to.

Stupidly it's cheaper for me to do a custom made order for a customer from them. Than to walk to the rear of my building and grab a pre-made vehicle specific pair off the shelf.

(No not being paid for this either. Just highly recommend them. Almost 10 years and I've only had one complaint. Pressure got bumped during a bulk order and 1/2 the batch had to be sent back for more gas.)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The eBay items I saw when this thread first appeared were from $30 … unsure if that’s a single or a pair, but there’s every chance the re-gas results in better results.