Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF boot sedan meant to fully spring open?

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
Thanks for that Z31na. How many newtons would I need to get?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Cr*p! That's expensive! Considering something has already happened to those original struts to make them degas themselves.
Older gas strut units were really good quality and would leak not because they were fault but because it’s impossible for them not to leak some gas over time. Recharging the older ones (as long as the shafts aren’t nicked or rust pitted) will often outlast todays newly made and bought modern (=cheap) unit.

After all stuff these days simply isn’t made to last as many have acknowledges on this forum…

It may be that Struts Australia actually produces a better product than the Chinese crap I’ve seen though I can’t say… but presumably struts aren’t sold in pairs so @ $30 a strut plus likely postage and handling, it probably ain’t too different to getting the old ones regassed in your driveway ;) and probably whole lot quicker, easier :cool:

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Thanks for that Z31na. How many newtons would I need to get?
I’ll put a picture up tomorrow. But going by earlier posts, its only for those with a Sedan and without a lip. Sounds like with a lip it wont be strong enough to open it on their own. Wagons will be totally different.
It may be that Struts Australia actually produces a better product than the Chinese crap I’ve seen though I can’t say… but presumably struts aren’t sold in pairs so @ $30 a strut plus likely postage and handling, it probably ain’t too different to getting the old ones regassed in your driveway ;) and probably whole lot quicker, easier :cool:
Valid points if we weren’t talking about cars made from 2013 onwards. Sounds like the quality of everything in this world has gradually dropped away over a period of time greater than what I’ve been alive. Doubt gas struts only took a deep dive off the quality cliff in the 5 years VF has been out of production.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I can’t even fathom the concept of anything being attached to a Commodore having done anything apart from improve, at least between 1978 and 2006. :)

A widget attached to a VE will, compared to the same attached to a VF, look worse & feel worse & work worse for a few years … but it’s made more solidly & will take longer to fall apart.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
You can buy new gas struts from Supercheap etc. I needed new ones for the bonnet on the SSV and I went and got a pair from Supercheap.

Most of them use the same ball joint fitting on the ends so it’s just about picking the right length strut to do the job.