Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Calais 6ltr 2014 sensor faults

kevinjw

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Calais 6ltr
Had a recall for power steering this was completed. over the past few months have had many warnings come up have been to Gateway holden on 4 occions , they reset faults but they keep coming back for power steering , park assist sensor .
codes are
u0126, Lost communication with steering wheel sensor module
u0415. Invalid data received from electronic brake control module.
u0159. Lost communication with parking assist control module
u0420. Invalid data received from power steering control module.
Milage is 50.000km, these faults keep coming up I have them reset only to have them come back.
I would like to know where these sensors are located ? can they be cleaned or do they have to be replaced.
These faults don't effect the performance of the car , only they come up on dash.
Any advice help would be appreciated, as I have been to 2 Holden dealers with no results
Kevin

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Hi, I'm having the same problem. Did you get a resolution? I'm trying to get the connector for the brake controller off so that I can squirt it with circuit board cleaner but not having much success getting the connector off at present.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Hi, I'm having the same problem. Did you get a resolution? I'm trying to get the connector for the brake controller off so that I can squirt it with circuit board cleaner but not having much success getting the connector off at present.
I've done it. Its tough, I had to use pliers. Mine was perfectly clean

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@kevinjw‘s recall work is supposed to be guaranteed but he didn’t say how long after the recall work these issues started to occur. Also, blindly clearing DTC’s is not a solution to the faults nor is it correct diagnosis. And since he’s been to a couple of dealers and had this issue looked at multiple times, it’s obvious these dealers are either not capable or not interested in correctly diagnosing these faults. As such he should have called customer support and demand they provide some engineering assistance (even if that means they bring someone back from retirement).

But OP never got back to the thread with a solution and he was last seen 24 Jan 2021.

For others seeing such communication faults, of interest may be a great video where a german mechanic was diagnosing a no start issue of a merc and it was an interior switch causing noise on the communication line when things got hot... Can’t remember the thread but @Fu Manchu put up that video and may pop in and provide a link :p

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
He’sh nort Yerman. He ish Dutch.
1615881545718.jpeg

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
And Diagnose Dan is one of a few great technicians who show people what is supposed to be done with our cars when something is wrong, the correct way.

I’ll post this one first because he explains really well what codes are and how they work.

This video of his on CANbus communication faults is really good.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've done it. Its tough, I had to use pliers. Mine was perfectly clean

After looking at a number of posts on the internet, none of which were about a VF of my vintage, they referred to two connectors on the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module). One is at the rear of the module and one is towards the RHS near the guard. After looking at the one near the guard, I found it easy to unclip the connector near the bottom, rotate the fastening arm upwards 90 degrees, and remove the connector. The other connector on the rear of the module, was also easy to remove the same way, just had to push down a little on the connector near the bottom to unclip it then rotate the arm up 90 degrees as well.

Some of the prongs near the centre of the guard connector looked like they had a very light coating of rust, the other connector looked fine. Cleaned both connectors with circuit board cleaner, dried and refitted them. Will get the scan tool back on the car tomorrow to see if there is any improvement. Probably should have cleaned the prongs with some 1200 grade wet&dry paper, but will see how it goes.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Found the CAN-Bus video very interesting - thanks Fu Manchu. Also came across the item below in the VF Service Manual - not very helpful to put it mildly - diagnosing my problem(s) could be a lengthy process!!!

1615968753987.png

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Found the CAN-Bus video very interesting - thanks Fu Manchu. Also came across the item below in the VF Service Manual - not very helpful to put it mildly - diagnosing my problem(s) could be a lengthy process!!!

View attachment 220348
He has a video somewhere covering this as well. I'm trying to find it for you. This guys mind amazes me.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

View attachment 220348
The wiring diagrams show which wires are CAN high and CAN low.