Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Calais Dash Colour

DAZ88P

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Wagon
Hi guys,

Just sold my VF SV6 Sedan and in the market for a wagon. There is a Calais that ticks all the boxes but I just can't get past the cream dash and door inserts.

Wondering if:
1. anyone has done any dyeing/ fabric paint of the alcantra fabric?
2. the alcantra part is removable/easily removable from the dash assembly?

Cheers

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Hi guys,

Just sold my VF SV6 Sedan and in the market for a wagon. There is a Calais that ticks all the boxes but I just can't get past the cream dash and door inserts.

Wondering if:

Cheers

These components are regularly sold on eBay, so although I haven't done it myself, it doesn't seem that it's too much of a job to swap them over.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VF-Cala...=27357287885473238cfc736a43d2a6d749c359a06ef9

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
I have 16 Calais and it has the grey coloured suede inserts, they show up marks and dirt very easy, which is about the only downfall.

M

mwb235

Hi guys,

Wondering if:

Cheers
I haven't tried it. Thought about doing that to mine and dyeing black, but i ended up fitting a SV6/SS interior including these dash pieces. Beige alcantra looks nice but isn't practical in everyday use. Much too hard to keep clean.

Might be better to wait until an interior out of a 2017 Calais V series 2 (MY17 update) which has jet black alcantra trims is available at a wreckers etc. Not sure though if the MY17 door trim plastics are the same shade of black/charcoal as VF series 1 and early series 2 (like how VX series 1 was charcoal or "pewter" then VX series 2 went jet black or "anthracite" if that makes sense).

For the three alcantra dash pieces - the two either side of speedo/cluster are relatively easy to remove. First remove all the 3 long plastic dash strips/spears - these unclip by pulling out by hand but don't be too rough. Then undo 2 bolts at bottom of mylink lcd screen/fascia (i.e. with air vents either side) and pull out the whole assembly, first unplug all wiring plugs at back. Then the small alcantra piece to the right side of cluster (i.e with air vent recessed in it) unclips - just pull it out. Same with one on left side (unplug engine start/stop switch).

Now the large alcantra trim piece above glove box is the hardest part. Behind it are attached 3 bolts. You'll need to remove glove box (which in itself isn't that difficult). But I find accessing the 3 bolts is a right royal PITA! And it's hard on my back to lay in the footwell so i can look up at the bolts i'm trying to undo, and hard getting access to the bolts as space is limited. Perhaps i don't have the right tools I don't know, but I used a socket wrench on middle bolt and and the bolt closest to passenger door. The bolt on end closest to radio is the hardest one to reach, i used a small spanner doing a 1/4 turn or less at a time, takes bloody ages! Well that's how I found it anyway, maybe I was just not doing it the right way.

Don't be tempted to leave the bolts in and pull really hard on the large trim to try and remove it. The bolts have to come out otherwise you'll rip the plastic at back of the trim and ruin it. I know this because first time i tried removing it, I got the s--ts big time and just yanked it out with a lot of force. Not very clever. But then, why Holden designed this particular trim this way baffles me. Guessing its proximity to airbag? Anyway i hope all that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

DAZ88P

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Wagon
I haven't tried it. Thought about doing that to mine and dyeing black, but i ended up fitting a SV6/SS interior including these dash pieces. Beige alcantra looks nice but isn't practical in everyday use. Much too hard to keep clean.

Might be better to wait until an interior out of a 2017 Calais V series 2 (MY17 update) which has jet black alcantra trims is available at a wreckers etc. Not sure though if the MY17 door trim plastics are the same shade of black/charcoal as VF series 1 and early series 2 (like how VX series 1 was charcoal or "pewter" then VX series 2 went jet black or "anthracite" if that makes sense).

For the three alcantra dash pieces - the two either side of speedo/cluster are relatively easy to remove. First remove all the 3 long plastic dash strips/spears - these unclip by pulling out by hand but don't be too rough. Then undo 2 bolts at bottom of mylink lcd screen/fascia (i.e. with air vents either side) and pull out the whole assembly, first unplug all wiring plugs at back. Then the small alcantra piece to the right side of cluster (i.e with air vent recessed in it) unclips - just pull it out. Same with one on left side (unplug engine start/stop switch).

Now the large alcantra trim piece above glove box is the hardest part. Behind it are attached 3 bolts. You'll need to remove glove box (which in itself isn't that difficult). But I find accessing the 3 bolts is a right royal PITA! And it's hard on my back to lay in the footwell so i can look up at the bolts i'm trying to undo, and hard getting access to the bolts as space is limited. Perhaps i don't have the right tools I don't know, but I used a socket wrench on middle bolt and and the bolt closest to passenger door. The bolt on end closest to radio is the hardest one to reach, i used a small spanner doing a 1/4 turn or less at a time, takes bloody ages! Well that's how I found it anyway, maybe I was just not doing it the right way.

Don't be tempted to leave the bolts in and pull really hard on the large trim to try and remove it. The bolts have to come out otherwise you'll rip the plastic at back of the trim and ruin it. I know this because first time i tried removing it, I got the s--ts big time and just yanked it out with a lot of force. Not very clever. But then, why Holden designed this particular trim this way baffles me. Guessing its proximity to airbag? Anyway i hope all that helps.

DAZ88P

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Wagon
Thanks for the detailed run through. Ended up missing out on the calais (Sold before I got to it). Just bought a sv6 today, not as well specced but nice black interior at least!