Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Calais flat battery with auto start

Joshp

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Berlina V6
Hey there,

Has anyone come across the issues with a flat battery in a VF Calais...
I had one the other day, tried to start it and there was not enough power to kick it over, however the issue I has was the automatic start (push button) the car would stop trying to start, was making a hell of a noise and just keeping trying to turn over again and again. The only way I could stop the car trying to start was disconnect the battery... luckily I was at home and able to do so. If I was anywhere else I would be screwed the car would have kept trying to start until it died completely. Has anyone else ever come across this issue? Is there anyway to stop the car trying to start itself for future reference...
I pushed the button again but it did nothing just kept trying to kick over

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
You have a flat battery, and you're still trying to get the car to start??
Recharge or replace the battery.

Start and stop is instantaneous. To stop the starting process, push it once again. Do not hold down the button to start — foot on brake, then press once, and release for start. For this simple and fail-safe process to work, it assumes of course your battery is in good condition with the required charge for cranking. Obviously, any car will struggle to start, if at all, with a flat battery.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Hey there,

Has anyone come across the issues with a flat battery in a VF Calais...
I had one the other day, tried to start it and there was not enough power to kick it over, however the issue I has was the automatic start (push button) the car would stop trying to start, was making a hell of a noise and just keeping trying to turn over again and again. The only way I could stop the car trying to start was disconnect the battery... luckily I was at home and able to do so. If I was anywhere else I would be screwed the car would have kept trying to start until it died completely. Has anyone else ever come across this issue? Is there anyway to stop the car trying to start itself for future reference...
I pushed the button again but it did nothing just kept trying to kick over

sounds pretty weird, you should have just been able to press the stop/start button again.

Joshp

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Berlina V6
Was very weird lol.... I was running around trying to grab my tools to disconnect the battery lol.... literally would not stop trying to turn over no matter what I pushed

Joshp

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Berlina V6
You have a flat battery, and you're still trying to get the car to start??
Recharge or replace the battery.

Start and stop is instantaneous. To stop the starting process, push it once again. Do not hold down the button to start — foot on brake, then press once, and release for start. For this simple and fail-safe process to work, it assumes of course your battery is in good condition with the required charge for cranking. Obviously, any car will struggle to start, if at all, with a flat battery.

I understand that mate... clearly I wasn't aware of my battery be in flat until I tried to start....

I pushed button once and the car automatically kept trying to start itself even though the battery was too flat to turn it over. I tried pushing the button once more to stop this but it still kept trying to start... I am just questioning in case I ever find myself in this situation again ie at the shops etc without tools....

Thank you for your input, much appreciated,

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
if the battery is around 5 years old or more i would replace it and if it happens again with a new battery i would get the vehicle checked out to make sure that it is going into "sleep" mode properly so it does not drain the battery.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yea it's common as, although most cars stop doing it but in your case the voltage dropped too low so it got stuck in that cycle.

As above Replace your battery.

Joshp

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Berlina V6
Yea it's common as, although most cars stop doing it but in your case the voltage dropped too low so it got stuck in that cycle.

As above Replace your battery.

Thanks Shane

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If the vehicle system tries to start the engine and it won’t start... it should try a few times before it give up and then show a message in the DIC... The software shouldn’t keep on trying to start until something overheats or melts or the battery goes completely flat.

I’d say it’s a situation that GM/H hasn’t considered and should fix it in software.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If the vehicle system tries to start the engine and it won’t start... it should try a few times before it give up and then show a message in the DIC... The software shouldn’t keep on trying to start until something overheats or melts or the battery goes completely flat.

I’d say it’s a situation that GM/H hasn’t considered and should fix it in software.

Incorrect it's because the voltage is too low so the computer module is not operating properly.
I've seen it hundreds of times on all sorts of makes and models.