Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf calais v 6.0 litre lifter replacement issues

vf calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf calais 6.0
Just an update, spoke to old mate (the mechanic) now their going to delete the AFM and put a Ls3 cam in my car and then retune it...is this going to be a good thing...???

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
will be better in the long run, no dod gear to fail

vf calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf calais 6.0
compared to the dod cam u will gain some power probably everywhere
The mechanic also mentioned the car will run better aswell and also reduce fuel consumption...

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
The mechanic also mentioned the car will run better aswell and also reduce fuel consumption...
it should run better, may or may not get better consumption prob will average out the same, just the first week back might be higher :p

vf calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf calais 6.0
2 months without a car because of ticking lifters? Even in COVID infected Rackoon city (Melbourne), it wouldn't taken so long to fix this... Something is odd and i wouldn't be a happy camper if it was my car :eek:

So how old is your car and how many kms has it done? Did you disuss this problems with a dealer before going 3rd party? If so what did they say was wrong? How much did the 3rd party mechanic quote to repair your car? Which cylinders aren't working (AFM shuts down cylinders 1, 7, 6 & 4)?

Normally, someone would reprogram the ECU to remove the AFM feature if they have installed a new more agressive cam that AFM lifters can't cope with. They'd then install new (normal) lifters (not the AFM ones) along with a new valley plate (to replace the VLOM). BUT such is done if your chasing power. If you just want noisy lifters fixed, it should just be new lifters and maybe a new standard cam (if worn).

If you've retained the AFM feature, reprograming wont help some crushed wiring that earths the VLOM solenoids (as that's the only fault i can think of that would sut down the AFM cylinders at startup).

It all seems odd and the mechanic needs to clearly explain the problem to you so you fully understand the repair... Go and ask the meachanic fixing your car to explain what he's done, what the problem is and how he's going to fix it ... and take a friend that understands cars with you ;)
Update, so now their going to delete the amf and also put an LS3 cam in and retune the motor, also said the car will run better on fuel...will this have any impact on power...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Update, so now their going to delete the amf and also put an LS3 cam in and retune the motor, also said the car will run better on fuel...will this have any impact on power...
It all sounds confusing as it's a warranty claim yet you have to pay something ($1500) out of pocket while the mechanic couldn't fix a simple lifter issue on an AFM V8. I'd still focus on sorting out the warranty side and why AFM now doesn't work (something any capable mechanic should be able to explain)...

Guess it all comes down to what you really wanted as the repair decision should have occured and been costed before work was started.

If you wanted to retain AFM to keep the car standard so you don't have to tell an insurnace company it's modified, then you definately need to sort out the above warranty repair of AFM lifters. If you actually wanted to delete AFM, once you decided to act on the lifter tick and chase some extra power, that's a different issue which you would have first researched and decised before your car was in bits... I'd not want a mechanics incompetance with AFM issues to cost me more $$ on a warranty repair that should not cost me nothing to begin with :eek:

As to installing a LS3 cam in L76 V8, not sure what that even means as a CAM is speced on value timing, lobe sepatation and lift and other stuff i don't know about. And i don't think LS3 only came with one CAM spec (it's used in lots of applications) so who knows what he is actually planning to use and whether i'd be ideal on your L76? There just isn't enough info to state anything other than he can't sort AFM issues so of him in doing a CAM upgrade on my car.

Seems like the mechanic me be pushing you around and telling you some stories for his own benefit and i guess i just don't like doing business in that way :rolleyes: