Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Calais V 6.0 LSD upgrade for drags

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
are there any radials that are street legal?

I was under the opinion that the nitto nt555r dot radials are legal here in Oz. Possibly the nt01 and nt05 also. Not sure about the MT’s I know they didnt used to be strictly legal here as it was rumoured they didnt want to pay for Aust certification but you see a lot of cars running around on them so maybe that changed. At least they look legal versus the hoosiers which are obviously slicks

Attachments

• 3260EE24-7F58-459F-9604-5C17B9E16BF1.jpeg
    3260EE24-7F58-459F-9604-5C17B9E16BF1.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 297

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
I’ll let you know and will hopefully have someone there taking footage so hopefully will get a good number of passes in.

If traction on the street is anything to go by it should be good. When running 18’s or 17’s your somewhat limited for tyre choices that will fit under a vf especially if its lowered.

If your in Qld you could borrow my hoosiers on the 18’s but they’re only 245/40r18’s. Even still they never lost traction and I would have done easy 50 passes on them and they’ve still got at least another 20-30 left in them. They’re the dr2 compound so they’re harder than the MT and M&H dot radials. They dont smoke up much at all when warming up until 3rd gear when they start, but they last heaps longer and stick so imo they’re the best value dot radial....yet not strictly legal for road use in Australia..

When I changed the diff ratio to 3.9 with the 18 inch hoosiers I calculated the final drive at 4.1 due to the rolling diameter and it was nosing over big time down the drag strip so currently with 275/35r20’s the final drive will be about 3.68:1 which I reckon will be in the perfect range for the cam and the converter.

PS I love hq’s I owned two geniune gts coupes in my time. My first car when I was 17 years old which had a sbc I paid $3500 and brought the last one as a roller with a 9 inch housing for $1500 then restored it and sold it for 12k about 18 years ago. Wish I still had it but couldn’t afford one these days. My bro had a hq statesman which I wouldn’t mine either.
Yes I was looking at tyre sizes today and see what you mean about the lack of choice . I brought my hq about 35 years ago paid $6500 it was in mint condition with a nice 253 and traumatic I cooked the motor . Several diffs driveshafts gearbox and a lot of engines later it now has a 427 sb , turbo 350 with 9 inch . Best time 11.12 best mph 121 never been trailered raced all over nz won nz super Street oh and by the way love your hqs always wanted a 2 door always seemed just out of reach dam oh I have been following your drag racing in the ss super cool and good luck with future mods

Unicorn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon
SS flo rida,at which point in the mod process did you add the 3.9 diff gears and how much time did you drop at the drags?
I watched your youtube vids but must have missed when you mentioned the diff gear change.
Also what revs do you sit on at 100kph? cheers

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
SS flo rida,at which point in the mod process did you add the 3.9 diff gears and how much time did you drop at the drags?
I watched your youtube vids but must have missed when you mentioned the diff gear change.

Cheers Unicorn

I only fitted the 3.9s and wave track about 7 months ago and have only been up to the drags once with this set up. It dropped a tenth off my best ET however as mentioned it was nosing over big time. With the larger diameter tyres now it bring the actual final drive up to 3.68 which I think will yield another 10th or so. I’ll let you know how that goes in a couple of weeks.
I’ll check what revs it does at 100 on my way home and let you know.

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375

it sits a bees dude below 2000 rpm at 100 kph.

Unicorn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon
it sits a bees dude below 2000 rpm at 100 kph.

That's perfect imo,i don't know why everyone doesn't do 3.9 gears.
Diff gears are very underrated as a mod I think,on a basically stock car diff gears make a pretty decent difference in acceleration and only doing around 2000rpm at highway speeds how can you go wrong. cheers

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
That's perfect imo,i don't know why everyone doesn't do 3.9 gears.
Diff gears are very underrated as a mod I think,on a basically stock car diff gears make a pretty decent difference in acceleration and only doing around 2000rpm at highway speeds how can you go wrong. cheers

If using a standard size rolling diameter tyre 3:7’s would be about the same as the 3:9’s with the 275/35r20 tyres Im running on my A6. 3:9’s with the standard tyre size is a bit too short imo for the strip as you need to the shift into second to be exact due to 1st gear being so short. Launching in second gear is a bit too long and will cost you 4 or 5 tenths. Ive tried a heap of different combo’s over the last few years and thats been my experience anyway. I’d suggest 3:7 would be ideal for most a6 daily drivers