Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Calais V 6.0 LSD upgrade for drags

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Justin Thomas, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Justin Thomas

Justin Thomas New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V 6.0
    Yep i'm very pleased, I really wanted the car to cruise to the beach and run night wars at Meremere (NZ) so the revs changing was a fear factor for me while cruising.

Just to give a run down.

1, Factory Calais with 2mm tread factory tyres on 98 basically 14.00 with PM 2.5inch cat back with 2.92 open diff
    2, Changed the diff to 3.27 LSD with 17,000kms on replacement diff and 70,000km on car OTR also installed and Goodyear F1 Directionals (13.45)
    3, Fitted Pacemaker headers and hi-flow cats, tuned to 96 at Pro Tune Automotive, Wayne worked with GM programmers in USA (12.92) Bad weather 20-30kph head winds and wet track in the morning. Almost cancelled it was that rough so expecting a better time next race day.

I also turned off AFM as was advised by Wayne it was more a sales pitch/up sell than real gain... the drone annoyed the heck out of me, even though the headers made the drone less noticeable, it still annoyed the heck out of me switching on/off more often with 3.27 gearing, this did however highlight that the engine was generally putting in less effort more often as the engine switched to AFM mode twice as much. I'm a qualified technician (ex trade tutor) so i listen to the engine carefully hence i was concerned the gearing change would effect my cruising revs. (I only drag occasionally).

I can say the 3.27 diff was very noticeable in acceleration and around town. The 2.92 was a very very low rev gearing, I actually felt it was to low.

Having just been out to check tonight

50kph Revs are Just over 1000rpm (To be more exact maybe 1050max on flat road)
    100kph Revs are on 1840rpm, I think by memory it was 1600rpm or 1650rpm at 100kph originally (I've seen posts on this exact topic stating others are at 1850 but mine is a rev counter needle thinkness below hence i'll say 1840rpm).

I took the vehicle away and tried to drive as i always would, some passing and bursts on the throttle but mostly highway driving 100kph and reached 600km to the tank. Having had the car about 6 months i'd never done a full tank economy run before but am happy with 600kms to a tank from a car running the 12sec slips.

I would do all these mods again in a heartbeat

If i didn't drag race the car and i had a factory exhaust i'd still do the diff upgrade but maybe leave AFM on if it didn't bother you. I was told by my tuner he can turn it back on if i'm not happy without a dyno run required or fee.

Note: If viewing the dyno chart ignore the ratio input on the screen, this was to compensate for the gear the trans was run in to do power runs.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Milo 6.0 likes this.
  2. Milo 6.0

Milo 6.0 Member

Members Ride:
    vf ssv
    Thanks Justin,was a good run down and step by step guide.
    Im keen for the drags to start up again on the 4th sept here so I can give my wagon a run and see where its at with the minor mods ive done so far.
    Im also thinking the 2.92 diff gears in mine are bloody useless and a shocking match for the 6 speed auto.
    Did you stall it up on the startline and to what rpm or did you drive off from idle?
    Ive never raced a holden with an ls and don't know how they react,only ever fords so I have no comparison.
    cheers

3. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    That is a very good thing.

4. Justin Thomas

Justin Thomas New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V 6.0
    Yes i load the engine up slightly can't say i look at the revs while watching the lights, maybe 2000rpm or a little over until the brakes struggle to hold. I was also made aware by Wayne at pro tune that pushing traction control button on VF partially turns of traction control. Holding it down for 10 seconds actually shuts it down fully incl esp etc. I run in sport mode with the car shifting itself. A small skid through the water and allow the car to clear the water before stopping... lots of people skid in the water and splash water all under the guards only to then try race on wet tyres.

Milo 6.0 likes this.
  5. [paradox]

[paradox] Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV-R
    are you cammed?
    not wanting to burst your bubble i know its only a number, but a tuned LS3 only just sneaks up to those numbers.

6. Justin Thomas

Justin Thomas New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V 6.0
    Don't worry mate your not bursting any bubble. I used probably one of the highest regarded Holden tuners NZ. I researched mods that made a difference and it worked. I have the print out of the dyno pulls that surprised the tuner too. I have attached a time slip running high 12s see pictures... I couldn't care if it had half the rwkw it displayed... Track results and goal achieved. Maybe it was the new spark plugs that did it lol.

Maybe look at the time slips and dyno print out attached. But remember I don't care what the RWKW says anyway. I run a high 12 sec Calais L77 with original cam which those in the know for the record say the cam is fine for lower rpm high torque engines.

I have whipped two later model VFs now one ute with MTs tyres and one sedan that apparently had intake, exhausts and tunes... that's proof enough for me. Remember you can have more power and go slower if your not getting traction or can't drive.

Thanks

markalan1two likes this.
  7. [paradox]

[paradox] Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV-R
    at the end of the day thats what matters most.
    real life track times are hands down better than an arbitrary dyno number.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    Justin Thomas likes this.
  8. Justin Thomas

Justin Thomas New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V 6.0
    Yep, I'm aware dyno figures can be happy... that said the quarter mile time is what I wanted. I would have been happy with a low 13 even so 12s are very rewarding.

Milo 6.0 likes this.
  9. Milo 6.0

Milo 6.0 Member

Members Ride:
    vf ssv
    Thanks mate

10. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 YOOTE
    I have read on facebook that with the TRC pressed there is still torque management and this is normally turned off by a tuner?

If i turn this off and go for a teensy skid it will throw a CEL as do others even when they long press it and disable ESP. I fully disabled it the other week with bald tyres in the wet and 2 seconds in it was extremely sketchy.

11. Milo 6.0

Milo 6.0 Member

Members Ride:
    vf ssv
    Took my wagon to the drags last night,with hsv headers and cats,stock centre section,rhino mufflers,harrop otr and tune I managed 13.27 at 106.27 mph or 171 kph,was very happy with that,ran a slightly quicker mph at 106.55 but slightly slower time of 13.29.
    Made 317 hp,roughly 235kw atw on a dyno dynamics dyno
    Im off to enquire about some 3.45 diff gears to get the very average 2.1 60 footer down,hopefully dip into the 12s.
    Update-Just saw my tuner and we should be doing diff gears soon:D

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019