Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Calais V 6.0 LSD upgrade for drags

Unicorn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon
If using a standard size rolling diameter tyre 3:7’s would be about the same as the 3:9’s with the 275/35r20 tyres Im running on my A6. 3:9’s with the standard tyre size is a bit too short imo for the strip as you need to the shift into second to be exact due to 1st gear being so short. Launching in second gear is a bit too long and will cost you 4 or 5 tenths. Ive tried a heap of different combo’s over the last few years and thats been my experience anyway. I’d suggest 3:7 would be ideal for most a6 daily drivers

Does the a6 in performance mode start in 2nd gear from a standing start if you just let the trans shift itself?
I only have ever driven ford 6 speed autos and they start in 2nd gear in perf mode unless you shift manually then you can select first gear.

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
Does the a6 in performance mode start in 2nd gear from a standing start if you just let the trans shift itself?
I only have ever driven ford 6 speed autos and they start in 2nd gear in perf mode unless you shift manually then you can select first gear.

They start in 1st every time. My mates fgx xr8 does start from 2nd also in auto mode.
However I shift it manually at the drags & haven’t used it in the auto modes since having the stall converter fitted a couple if years ago. That way I can shift into the next gear exactly at the best point for the next gear

Justin Thomas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0
Hi guys, thanks for all the input. I've possibly cut a corner or two with my budget and recently swapped the 2.92 out for a 17,000km 3.27 LSD... Agreed it might not last but it was a fraction of the cost of any other options and i want extractors and tune also.

Also replaced the standard road tyres with new Goodyear F1's that are more about safety on the roads for now. I did however buy and check fitment on new 17x9 alloys (yes tight over brakes but fine). Possibly future tyre options M/T do a range that will fit these.

I've also ordered the new Pacemaker 4 into 1's and high flow cats, pending shipment then its heading for a tune when installed.

Winter Drags this Sunday to test diff and OTR with the new rear rubber also (track not prepped). Headers & Cats still in transit to match cat back already fitted.

Update 9-06-19 drags today 13.4 sec with the OTR Pacemaker cat back and 3.27 factory LSD. Standard wheels and tyres. Pretty happy, looking forward to the headers high flow cats and tune. For a luxury model calais-v i'm pleased.

Last edited:

Justin Thomas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0
Hi guys, Just done some further testing on wheels this time as i know i would have found this info helpful. Info related to 19 staggered Redline SS VF Black mags with the five spoke star shape compared to Calais 19 ten spoke wheel.

Weights of wheels: Redline Front wheel with 245-40-19 B-Stone Potenza and 3mm tread 24kg each with tyre

Redline Rear wheel with 275-35-19 B-Stone Potenza 3mm tread 26.6Kg with tyre

VF Calais-V 19 Inch wheel with new Goodyear Eagle F1 26.4Kg with tyres

Note Quarter mile time did not improve on the Calais with the staggered fit wheels and half worn tyres, Best time on Staggered 13.50
Best time on Calais wheels 13.40 (ten runs each day) almost identical conditions and weather situation. (Winter drags non-prepped track)

Make your own mind up regards the below. Just my findings.
Noticeably some guy had a VF S2 LS3 Ute with a Full exhaust OTR and Tune running Mickey T 285's and was running 14.00's I think he was expecting good times as before exhaust and tune he ran 14.00 but the exhaust and tune didn't alter his times at all after he fitted the M/T's.

I read that M/Ts on a lower powered car can slow it down when the hook up, his day kinda confirmed this for me hence after my headers and tune i won't be fitting M/Ts now. He had also done about 10 passes and they appeared over half worn.

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
Hi guys, Just done some further testing on wheels this time as i know i would have found this info helpful. Info related to 19 staggered Redline SS VF Black mags with the five spoke star shape compared to Calais 19 ten spoke wheel.

Weights of wheels: Redline Front wheel with 245-40-19 B-Stone Potenza and 3mm tread 24kg each with tyre

Redline Rear wheel with 275-35-19 B-Stone Potenza 3mm tread 26.6Kg with tyre

VF Calais-V 19 Inch wheel with new Goodyear Eagle F1 26.4Kg with tyres

Note Quarter mile time did not improve on the Calais with the staggered fit wheels and half worn tyres, Best time on Staggered 13.50
Best time on Calais wheels 13.40 (ten runs each day) almost identical conditions and weather situation. (Winter drags non-prepped track)

Make your own mind up regards the below. Just my findings.
Noticeably some guy had a VF S2 LS3 Ute with a Full exhaust OTR and Tune running Mickey T 285's and was running 14.00's I think he was expecting good times as before exhaust and tune he ran 14.00 but the exhaust and tune didn't alter his times at all after he fitted the M/T's.

I read that M/Ts on a lower powered car can slow it down when the hook up, his day kinda confirmed this for me hence after my headers and tune i won't be fitting M/Ts now. He had also done about 10 passes and they appeared over half worn.

agreed regarding MTs on a stocker or mild set up

Justin Thomas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0
Update on my 2014 Calais V Drags

I completed the 4 into 1 Pacermaker Headers and High flow cat install, Cat back 2.5 system was already done. Also Installed OTR and had tuned to 96 octane with results just touching 300rwkw. Diff was changed to 3.27 with LSD and decided to stick to factory wheels.

Side note: The 2.92 to 3.27 LSD Diff upgrade was really good, well worth the change (factor in speedo needs to be calabrated, tuner required on dyno)
For anyone looking at this option i love the change, was worried the revs would be to high for cruising but its fine. Personally wouldn't go further than 3.27 in Calais. After i installed the headers and had the tune done i feel the revs felt even slightly better when cruising. 10/10 upgrade.

Despite the 20-30kph head wind on non-prep winter day i was super pleased running 12.92 after tune.

Attachments

• IMG_20190826_190410[1].jpg
    IMG_20190826_190410[1].jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 214

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Wow that thing is really moving now.
What revs are you doing at 100kph now with the 3.27 gears?
So you got nearly half a second gain with the tune:cool:
Id be stoked running a 12.