Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Calais V 6.0 LSD upgrade for drags

Justin Thomas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0
Hi guys,

Planning on upgrading to an LSD as my Calais as has an open diff, looking at trying to find complete unit from the used parts supplier. Diff is currently 2.92 for automatic vehicle.

I also intend on getting an OTR intake and better tyres or spare wheels for the drags. First drag last week with 2mm tread on standard road tyres 245/40 19's was best 14.00sec and half tank of fuel.

Vehicle also has Pacemaker cat back steel system. (2 owner car 70,000kms).

Have edited this post as found some good threads on ratio.

Any idea on what wheel size can be fitted to rear of this to run track tyres with tall side wall...? Say 16's 17's perhaps.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Will drag-racing specific tyres make any real difference when you're in the 14s quarter range?
I don't know what they would cost, but could you achieve more for the same money in other areas, eg. exhaust or even a tune?

Justin Thomas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0
Will drag-racing specific tyres make any real difference when you're in the 14s quarter range?
I don't know what they would cost, but could you achieve more for the same money in other areas, eg. exhaust or even a tune?

Exhaust has been done to the extent i want to at this stage.

Wheel spin is a problem with the open LSD that will be better when changed but it would still be good to know if 17's (for example) fit the rear? over the 19's fitted.

Even if i don't fit drag tyres, i'd like options for sizes as spares... will likely want something other than my everyday street tyres at least.

My FG Falcon NA ute ran 15.5 and the difference between the street tyres and a drift associated high grip tyre was felt despite slow passes. I'm aiming to break below my 14.00 (ran twice) planned LSD plus air intake should help but tyres are helpful even if used track tyres.

You raise a good point though.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Evoke's had 16's using the same brakes, so you should definitely be able to get 16's or 17's to fit … unless there's something I'm missing.

Unicorn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon
Brand new genuine 2.92 lsd on ebay for around 1250 plus delivery.Good to know what times a stock 6.0 will run,if you have traction issues maybe a tad quicker than 14.0.

Justin Thomas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0
Thanks for that. Yep, book time is 13.50 sec and I have found a low kms LSD for $700 in NZ so no freight or duty tax (we get hit hard on duty tax).

The car is stock except has Pace Maker mufflers and Pacemaker resonators, exhaust system from Cat back. Large diameter probably 3inch twin pipe but factory intake. (Half tank of fuel)

Only owned the car 1 day so ran with the old tyres fitted x1 tyre 2mm the other 3mm tread.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
If your u want a decent lsd unit bite the bullet and get a harrop true trac mate, it’s a far superior unit to anything Holden or hsv have ever used and being a helical gear lsd it doesn’t have any clutches and springs to wear out over time

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
If your u want a decent lsd unit bite the bullet and get a harrop true trac mate, it’s a far superior unit to anything Holden or hsv have ever used and being a helical gear lsd it doesn’t have any clutches and springs to wear out over time
How is the harrope lsd with daily driving eg noise or clunks

Hitman369

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0L
Mine's a daily driver & I've had the Harrop Tru Trac for over 2 years & no complaints. No noises or clunks.