Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Calais V 6.0 LSD upgrade for drags

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Or the wavetrac some have said its better.

Koya make a 17 that I think will fit over big brakes but yeah seen the evoke brakes get 16 and 17s over them. wide tyres with plenty of sidewall.

Also look at the diff gear ratio and making the ratio bigger for shorter gearing such as 3.73 although will make your wheelspin worse.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Just like a normal LSD.
Ok I have a Detroit locker in my hq and you can feel locking up not that nice in a daily driver but has proven to be extremely reliable on the strip 15 years of abuse a few axles and half dozen engines lol .A good place to start building horsepower is at the back end and move forward is what I'm saying

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I’ve had a true trac before also and yea they are smooth as silk, no clunks or noises but when ya wanna put the boot in there’s no 1 wheel spinning also traction and drive is better under hard cornering

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
www.holmart.com.au have a look if you want complete new part (their's a 3.7 on there for $2785 or a 3.45 for $2095) or try a dismantler for second hand

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
Im my experience steer clear of a used lsd centre and put a wave track / tru track or similar centre in it with 3.7 ratio for the quarter mile. Otherwise your constantly putting in used lsd centres and before long you’ll spend more than if you bit the bullet 1st time around. I replaced 3 lsd centres before I spent the money to do it right. All were “low kms” in perfect condition with a warranty.. One of these dropped a wheel first drive despite it being what looked a tight centre. If its a vf you’ll need to put an evoke rear brake assembly in to fit 16s on it. Good aftermarket 17s will generall just fit over factory rear brakes. Either way with the power your making traction wont be a concern even on 20s with a with a good 275 street tyre which will hook up on the strip. An open centre you may as well park up and watch from the stands. I run a wave track 3.9 ratio with 275/35r20’s which raises my final drive ratio to about 3.68 which is perfect for the quarter imo for an A6. Based on what youve said you have more easy 10ths to gain by minimising your fuel load, dropping rear tyre pressure and increasing front pressures, and removing excess weight but I wouldnt bother until you replace the open wheeler.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Good advice .What sort of tyre and what pressure were you running ? We're you managing to hook up consistently on the street tyres what sort of times were you running with them . So many questions lol

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
Ive recently changed from 245/40r18 by 8.5 inch rims with hoisier dot radials to a 275/35r20 Kuhmo escta KU39 on 20x9.5 rear rims but havent tested them yet so Im not able to provide any objective info unfortunately for a couple more weeks.

Id suspect about 30~32 psi at rear and 52~55 psi front which is what I always run up front.

best to date is 11.43 at just a smidge shy of 120mph. I honestly reckon it’ll run in the 30’s with the new wider and higher wall kuhmo’s on it but wont know for sure until I get back to the strip in a couple of weeks.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Ive recently changed from 245/40r18 by 8.5 inch rims with hoisier dot radials to a 275/35r20 Kuhmo escta KU39 on 20x9.5 rear rims but havent tested them yet so Im not able to provide any objective info unfortunately for a couple more weeks.

Id suspect about 30~32 psi at rear and 52~55 psi front which is what I always run up front.

best to date is 11.43 at just a smidge shy of 120mph. I honestly reckon it’ll run in the 30’s with the new wider and higher wall kuhmo’s on it but wont know for sure until I get back to the strip in a couple of weeks.
Interesting I presume you are gearing up(bigger Dia )I would have thought that you would have been better of with bigger side wall on the 18s . I am looking to get rear wheels and tires for the magnum to have a go on the strip I was thinking 18s with mts or hoisiers but not even sure if 18s will fit ?Anyway I would be keen to know how you get on with the kuhmo’s

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
Interesting I presume you are gearing up(bigger Dia )I would have thought that you would have been better of with bigger side wall on the 18s . I am looking to get rear wheels and tires for the magnum to have a go on the strip I was thinking 18s with mts or hoisiers but not even sure if 18s will fit ?Anyway I would be keen to know how you get on with the kuhmo’s

I’ll let you know and will hopefully have someone there taking footage so hopefully will get a good number of passes in.

If traction on the street is anything to go by it should be good. When running 18’s or 17’s your somewhat limited for tyre choices that will fit under a vf especially if its lowered.

If your in Qld you could borrow my hoosiers on the 18’s but they’re only 245/40r18’s. Even still they never lost traction and I would have done easy 50 passes on them and they’ve still got at least another 20-30 left in them. They’re the dr2 compound so they’re harder than the MT and M&H dot radials. They dont smoke up much at all when warming up until 3rd gear when they start, but they last heaps longer and stick so imo they’re the best value dot radial....yet not strictly legal for road use in Australia..

When I changed the diff ratio to 3.9 with the 18 inch hoosiers I calculated the final drive at 4.1 due to the rolling diameter and it was nosing over big time down the drag strip so currently with 275/35r20’s the final drive will be about 3.68:1 which I reckon will be in the perfect range for the cam and the converter.

PS I love hq’s I owned two geniune gts coupes in my time. My first car when I was 17 years old which had a sbc I paid $3500 and brought the last one as a roller with a 9 inch housing for $1500 then restored it and sold it for 12k about 18 years ago. Wish I still had it but couldn’t afford one these days. My bro had a hq statesman which I wouldn’t mine either.

Attachments

• 8202388D-28A1-4BD9-B11C-9ECAD07CBA97.jpeg
    8202388D-28A1-4BD9-B11C-9ECAD07CBA97.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 267
  • 9CDF37C3-1BB0-4274-A7AE-82D317E56F22.jpeg
    9CDF37C3-1BB0-4274-A7AE-82D317E56F22.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 265