Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Calais V - Exhaust & Cam

raZel

The ride for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V - V8
Hey lads,

I just purchased a VF Calais V Series 1. Pick it up in a few days. Feels great to be getting back into a commo!

I know the dreaded exuast question has been asked a thousand times but I must admit, I couldn't really tie exactly what I was after to any responce.

Right now the car is bone stock and sounds like nothing. Whilst I love the fact that it glides along almost silent, I feel as though the V8 rumble is lacking. However I do 100% not want a loud drone whilst driving. What i'm ideally looking for is a exhaust and cam combination that sounds clean and nice during idle and accelaration but whilst cruising at 80 or 100km/h just dissapears.

Combination recommendations would be great! I have looked at the VCM range, and with a light cat back, I do kinda like the sound of the VCM9, however i fear that it will be a bit lumpy down low and lose the smooth feel of a calais.

Would love you feedback and guidance, Cheers guys!

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Hey lads,

I just purchased a VF Calais V Series 1. Pick it up in a few days. Feels great to be getting back into a commo!

I know the dreaded exuast question has been asked a thousand times but I must admit, I couldn't really tie exactly what I was after to any responce.

Right now the car is bone stock and sounds like nothing. Whilst I love the fact that it glides along almost silent, I feel as though the V8 rumble is lacking. However I do 100% not want a loud drone whilst driving. What i'm ideally looking for is a exhaust and cam combination that sounds clean and nice during idle and accelaration but whilst cruising at 80 or 100km/h just dissapears.

Combination recommendations would be great! I have looked at the VCM range, and with a light cat back, I do kinda like the sound of the VCM9, however i fear that it will be a bit lumpy down low and lose the smooth feel of a calais.

Would love you feedback and guidance, Cheers guys!
Be aware your V8 is the l77 and require the AFM delete, thats Gunna set you back 5k along with another 5k for the exhaust and intake. Provided your happy to spend that type of coin, your preferred tuner will have there own exhaust preference and cam preference.
Your going to want to suss out a reputable tuner that your happy with the price and the work they do, they can then give you a idea on the right camshaft.

Where about are you located?

raZel

The ride for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V - V8
Hey mate,

Located Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne.

The AFM delete... Why does this need to be done? Is this for the cam to go on or for the exhaust to go on or both?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
There are aftermarket AFM cams available.
L77 has better lifters than the L76's had, but drone might be a problem in 4 cyl mode.
Chat to your workshop about it.

raZel

The ride for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V - V8
There are aftermarket AFM cams available.
L77 has better lifters than the L76's had, but drone might be a problem in 4 cyl mode.
Chat to your workshop about it.

What do you mean by this? Meaning that there are cams designed as an upgrade where you don't need to do the AFM delete?

raZel

The ride for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V - V8
Okay, So I've done some reading, can someone please correct me if i'm wrong here

The DOD is changed with a kit - then you need to change the Cam Shaft to either an L98 or an aftermarket one and also disable the AFM in the ECU.

Is that correct?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Okay, So I've done some reading, can someone please correct me if i'm wrong here

The DOD is changed with a kit - then you need to change the Cam Shaft to either an L98 or an aftermarket one and also disable the AFM in the ECU.

Is that correct?

Correct, the kit contains new standard lifters, buckets and a plain valley cover without oil passages and solenoids.
AFM is switched off during a tune.

raZel

The ride for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V - V8
Thanks for your help Imoengnr, Appreciate it.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
If it's ,mainly noise you are after, I'd be going just a cat back, and AFM delete. Changing the cam will cost you a bucket load more, and will affect drivability if the cam is too big