Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Commodore Air-con recall for leaking water

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by icon78, May 26, 2014.

1. icon78

icon78 Banned

Members Ride:
    VF Commodore International
    Book my car in for the air-con recall as passenger side floor was soaked with water. Dealer has no parts in stock says they gotta order what a joke $2.50 (went to spare parts and priced grommet as i seen number on piece of paper) part and they cant even stock it as its a common problem with these so called Million Dollar designed cars. I find it a joke that parts gotta come from Melbourne to Qld and im without a car for the week as carpet has to be removed and dried as its a swimming pool from front to back. Dealer says you can still drive car but no a/c which made me even crankier!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Yarsii

Yarsii Guest

So you have a issue that hits the whole model range. Every dealer in Australia and New Zealand starts placing orders for a '$2.50 piece of rubber'

You really reckon that it's smart business wise to stock up X dealer and then look at sending whatever's left to Y dealer?
    No point ranting and raving at the front counter, it's not the dealers fault. Go directly to Holden and kick up a stink.

Pull yourself together princess.

3. 6LVFSS

6LVFSS Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS
    Most have had their carpet replaced as well

4. wot recession

wot recession call me wotman

Members Ride:
    VF SV6 auto Ute.
    My mates ssv got soaked in water.
    I called the dealer about my sv6, they said they know nothing ?????????
    Does anyone know the manufacture dates effected???????????

5. gossie

gossie Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE International 3.6L
    I saw somewhere thousands of Commodore's were being recalled for a seat belt problem.........Anybody know what models??????

6. 6LVFSS

6LVFSS Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS
    ALL VF to current apparently

7. cashie

cashie Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS-V
    Yep, all VF to 22 May 14 production.

8. icon78

icon78 Banned

Members Ride:
    Its a product recall for VF commodore dealers should be sent stock from Holden or they should take the initiative and order 50 grommets will cost them 50c each as there $2.50 retail why should i have to have car off the road for a week its 3 weeks old with 800km on it.

9. Yarsii

Yarsii Guest

These things happen. You can do 2884920100173&&492929727 Km's testing and the simplest faults will stop come up. It's **** but what can you do? Happens to every manufacturer.

Ordering 50 grommets? What happens if they only get 5 VF's come in for the recall? Yes it's only $2.50 but it's still gross mismanagement to over order.

Stop thinking about it from your point of view.

10. cashie

cashie Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS-V
    I don't think its a recall per-say, its a tech bulletin to replace the foam seal with a rubber one if it has been damaged during install. Not all cars are affected.

11. icon78

icon78 Banned

Members Ride:
    Got a recall letter from Holden for ac leak and seat back rest inspection.

12. cashie

cashie Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS-V
    Did it say recall for the AC rework? I stand corrected then if it did.
    Strange to have a recall on a non-safety item.
    Strange its not listed on the recall website (only the seatbelt one is).
    Holden

13. Yarsii

Yarsii Guest

It's not your typical 'Recall'. A 'recall' is only for safety issues, and that's when Holden has to inform the government, ACCC, all relevant bodies ect. Affected customers are contacted via mail, obviously. Example: Current seat
    belt pre-tensioner recall

The A/C drain seal is what you would call a 'rework'. Not a safety item. Customers do not have to be contacted via mail.
    Government, relevant bodies not involved. Holden decides if reworks are worthy of a mailout of letters to affected customers based on the issue. For example with the A/C drain seal rework, it works out cheaper for Holden to send a letter to affected customers to get them in ASAP to replace the seal before the carpet gets saturated and hence needing replacement which Holden has to cover. $2.50 piece of rubber seal <-----> whole new carpet.

You get the point.

There is also a BCM update rework currently for PEPS fitted VF/WN's. Holden has decided that it's not worthy of a mailout and to only carry out the rework at the next service or if customer has a complaint which matches the rework.

14. icon78

icon78 Banned

Members Ride:
    Did VE have the same a/c drain seal problem Yarsii ?

I take it your a dealership technician.

15. Yarsii

Yarsii Guest

The VE's had a very similar issue. The VE's were fitted with the same rubber seal that the VF's get fitted with as part of the VF AC drain rework. The VF's were originally fitted with a foam seal that becomes pinched when the HVAC box is fitted to the vehicle and thus leaks water. The VE's have a separate rework. The rubber seal that they were fitted with can be incorrectly fitted from factory. The fix for the VE's is to turn the rubber grommet until it seats properly.

And correct i am dealer tech.

16. icon78

icon78 Banned

Members Ride:
    Thanks for that Yarsii.

It's more the fact the cars sat there for 3 days now they didn't pull the carpet out ( reckons they can clean and get all the water out the insulation while it's in the car) it's just sat in there yard no courtesy car and it smells terrible. Is it common practise to change the carpet ?

17. Yarsii

Yarsii Guest

Depends on the severity of the water leakage into the car.
    Holden hasn't come out and actually stated what the procedure is for carpets that have been affected by water so every dealer is currently playing it on a case by case basis.

At my dealer if your carpet is super damp, smelly, mouldy ect we replace the carpets. Currently a month or so wait for a new one.

But if it's just a bit of moisture, and no mould/smell ect we pull out the carpet and hang it up to dry for a couple of days and then refit it. Only takes about 20 mins to remove or refit.

Extremely poor form by your dealer to leave the carpet in and try to dry it in-car.

18. HemiMagic

HemiMagic Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport
    My Dealer removed the wet carpet and had it professionally cleaned and dried. When the new carpet and rubber seal turned up they replaced the seal and then the cleaned carpet with the new one.

Good service. Very happy with the Dealers staff. Very Courteous and Professional.