Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Commodore/Calais Chrome Door Lock Knobs and Handles

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by VFCalais2017, Feb 28, 2018.

1. VFCalais2017

VFCalais2017 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V6 MY17
    Hi everyone,

I purchased a new VF Calais V6 in Nitrate Silver 3 weeks ago. Extremely good deal for a 'demo' with 12kms and all accessories (towbar, mudflaps, weathershields, bootliner, headlamp protectors and floor mats thrown in).

I'm looking to change the door handles to chrome, the same as the Calais V. Does anyone know where I can get these? No one sells aftermarket handles with the passive entry buttons so I'm guessing I'll have to find second hand. Holden quoted over $700 new, unpainted at trade price!

I'm also looking to change the door lock knobs (interior) to chrome. Now, I must be going mad because I could have sworn I had seen these fitted to a VF model, either Calais or Caprice. I've checked with Holden spare parts and they don't have a listing for chrome lock knobs/buttons.

Hopefully someone can either put me on the right track with a part number, confirm my insanity or cure me of the desire for extra chrome :)

Cheers!

2. Chubba

Chubba New Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 SSV RDL
    "I've checked with Holden spare parts and they don't have a listing for chrome lock knobs/buttons."

The chrome knobs are not listed as a separate part number but part of an assembly which includes a rod (which I presume goes to a lock actuator of some sort), Try these part numbers: 92282443 (front), 92282445 (rear). The chrome knobs will unscrew from the rods for a straight swap. Recently went through this process myself. Sorry cant help with the door handles. Nothing wrong with a bit of extra chrome. Good luck!!

VFCalais2017 and 426Cuda like this.
  3. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    I've tried to order these and had no luck advising these are not stocked. Did you have any luck purchasing them?

4. Chubba

Chubba New Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 SSV RDL
    No problem recently purchasing them (those numbers are straight off the packet). If you had no luck with one dealer then suggest try another and then another until you get what you need. Some parts people know their way round the parts system very well and are extremely helpful then others may be less experienced or simply can not be arsed helping.....hit and miss.

VFCalais2017, 426Cuda and Anthony121 like this.
  5. AAAC

AAAC New Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Motorsport
  6. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
  7. AAAC

AAAC New Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Motorsport
    I cannot remember the exact price but they were about $15 each for front and $20 each for the rear. Too much for a bit of bling.

8. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV30 Senator (w/end), 97 VS, 17 Carnival Platinum
    The lock snibs are one thing about VF that I hate. They remind me of my old VB and VC from the 70's/80's.

Such a step backwards from the integrated ones of VE.

[paradox] and lmoengnr like this.
  9. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    You aren't going mad mate, MY17 CalaisV has these as standard, and I daresay Caprice does too.

VFCalais2017 likes this.
  10. VFCalais2017

VFCalais2017 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V6 MY17
    Hi everyone,

Thanks Chubba for the Holden part numbers. They were originally searching for door lock knobs. This time they nailed it! I ordered a full set yesterday morning. They're about $10.15 per actuator rod at trade price. I'm hoping that they're just a matter of unscrewing and screwing in the new ones. I've also asked them to check if there's a chrome collar/ferrule for the base as opposed to the black. I think this would look nicer.

Not sure if anyone else has done this too, but I've even added the CALAIS badges to the rear doors (something I think Holden should have included as standard on the VF 2). It identifies the car from the side the way all the models pre-VE were done. My Dad bought a new SV6 two weeks after I bought the Calais and even he has even done the same. This is my first brand new car. Prior to this I drove a 2000 VX Calais in Heron and before that, a 1971 HG Kingswood in Cinnamon Brown/Kashmir White, both still in top condition. So you can understand why I'm obsessed with the extra chrome bits :)

Getting back to the door handles, I really like the look of the chrome ones on the Calais V and SSV Redlines I've seen on the road. I had looked at the adhesive chrome covers and strips on eBay however no one is making these for the passive entry handles yet. I can buy second hand genuines but there's no guarantee as to the condition, plus they would also need to be resprayed in Nitrate Silver. I know a lot of people are replacing the chrome handles with painted on the SSV. If anyone knows of someone who has a set in Nitrate Silver/Chrome that they are removing, I would be interested in buying them.

Fitting a rear sunshade and bonnet protector this weekend. Can't think of anything else to accessorise the car with apart from the lip spoiler. Has anyone fitted one to a VF Calais? Does it suit the style of car or do you think this is more for the sports models?

I've got spats and venetians on the Kingswood... I might see if Holden can do a price for the VF...:)

426Cuda likes this.
  11. VFCalais2017

VFCalais2017 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V6 MY17
    Hi Anthony121,
    When I got the price at Holden yesterday, they said they weren't stocked in the Sydney warehouse and no dealer had them showing in stock. They're showing over 250 units in stock in Melbourne. They'll be here by Monday.
    I'd go back to the dealer and ask them to check for stock in Melbourne. They'll definitely have them in stock.
    Hope this helps :)

12. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Gunna burst your bubble here mate..was at a Holden yard today and I 'tested' the snibs as I want some chrome ones for my car too. Definitely not screw in. Looks like a door card out job.

13. VFCalais2017

VFCalais2017 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V6 MY17
    Hi tml678,

I agree that it was an unusual change for Holden to do this, particularly to have the rear door lock buttons positioned at the rear of the doors. It does look very old fashioned by today's standards. I'm used to this though having the Kingswood. What's surprising is that the VF uses the same configuration as the first model Holden (48-215). However, a few months after the launch, new Holden owners were complaining that they couldn't reach the rear door locks from the driver's seat (no central locking in those days!). I think at the end of 1949 they changed it so the buttons were at the front of the rear doors.

Considering that the VF is the last Australian built Holden, I like to think it was an accidental tribute by the designers to the Number One :)

On a similar note, I bought my Calais on Australia Day this year (very fitting!) and was amazed to see that the registration date for my car is 29th November - the same day that the first Holden was launched back in 1948. What a coincidence! :)

426Cuda likes this.
  14. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
    They're just an indicator. I have never even touched one. In the VF there is no need. Just use the handle. I much prefer it over the locks in the VE. Not that they were bad.
    I also prefer the sound and feel of the external handles and the sound of the doors closing. The VE ones feel and sound cheap and nasty in comparison.

15. VFCalais2017

VFCalais2017 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V6 MY17
    Hmmm, my current ones unscrew...?
    Oh well, if they need to be removed then I'll probably go for the aluminium ones that AAAC has quoted above. They look the part :)

16. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Yeah, I get that Cuda, but the look is a bit too *retro for me. Just my opinion :)

426Cuda likes this.
  17. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
    Yeah, and that's fair enough too tml678. ;)

tml678 likes this.
  18. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    This is why I like this forum, we can disagree respectfully. Cheers mate :)

19. VFCalais2017

VFCalais2017 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V6 MY17
    Hi tml678,
    The new door lock knobs arrived today. They simply unscrew from the actuator rod. 10 minute job to change them over.
    The actuator rod (when unlocked) extends beyond the door trim so there's no danger of the rod falling down into the door.
    The rods incl. chrome knob were $10 each (trade) from Holden. To me it was worth changing over as it breaks up the black door trim a little more.
    Cheers :)

tml678 and Chubba like this.
  20. KLoNe

KLoNe Member

Members Ride:
    6.2L V8 Phantom VF2 Calais-V