Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Commodore "DOC" connector..

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Just be careful when using an inline 12V to 5V converter. I bought the Jaycar version and found with it connected it was generating too much RF interference meaning it affected my FM radio reception. I ended up using a good quality, sheilded, USB adaptor and ran a cig lighter socket from the DOC connector. I've also found it's a bit hit and miss on USB cig socket adapters in relation to RF noise. Two of mine caused intereference, but I found a Verbatim one that didn't.

richo7502000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS, Harley Davidson VRSCF V-Rod Muscle
Removing the A-Pillar trim is not actually needed, of you remove the rubber pinch mold along the door edge, you can easily tuck the wiring behind there without actual removal!! The dash end cover on glove box side has tons of room for battery saver (I am running the Blackvue variety), and it easily hides the unit and all connections there.
Give it a try mate its real easy!!

Regards

Richo

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Removing the A-Pillar trim is not actually needed, of you remove the rubber pinch mold along the door edge, you can easily tuck the wiring behind there without actual removal!! The dash end cover on glove box side has tons of room for battery saver (I am running the Blackvue variety), and it easily hides the unit and all connections there.
Give it a try mate its real easy!!

Regards

Richo

Presumably you didn't use the DOC connector as a power source?

There's no way you can access the DOC connector by merely pulling out the dash end cover.

So if the the glovebox has to come it (it has for DOC connector access) it's neither here nor there to remove the A-Pillar trim.

Or have I got it completely wrong and you've managed it?

I'm always happy to learn easier ways of doing things...

floydbloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Success.

Rummaging through my junk I found some bits of wire with female 2.8mm spade terminals, adjustable voltage regulators (rated for 3 Amps current draw), an old USB hub that I pulled to bits for the socket and a little plastic box to mount it all in.

NnR3er7.jpg

I covered the connectors in heatshrink ( a bit paranoid about short-cricuits).
SOf1vNQ.jpg

7lV5rhE.jpg

And as people here have mentioned there is ample room to stick it inside the cavity just to the left of the glovebox.

k1zRsDh.jpg

Tucking the cable inside the A-Pillar trim was also easy by pulling away the rubber mould, as suggested by Richo.

Last edited:

richo7502000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS, Harley Davidson VRSCF V-Rod Muscle
Presumably you didn't use the DOC connector as a power source?

There's no way you can access the DOC connector by merely pulling out the dash end cover.

So if the the glovebox has to come it (it has for DOC connector access) it's neither here nor there to remove the A-Pillar trim.

Or have I got it completely wrong and you've managed it?

I'm always happy to learn easier ways of doing things...

Yes I did remove the globvebox (one hard yank... basically) and I did use the DOC connector for power, B+, earth, I then hid the power adaptor behind the L/H dash end cover and tucked the wiring behing the a-pillar trim and along the front of the headlining trim until the point where I mounted the camera!

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Yes I did remove the globvebox (one hard yank... basically) and I did use the DOC connector for power, B+, earth, I then hid the power adaptor behind the L/H dash end cover and tucked the wiring behing the a-pillar trim and along the front of the headlining trim until the point where I mounted the camera!

Yeah, all good.

I did the same except I secured wiring under airbag stuff (behind A-Pillar cover) and followed that corridor into glovebox area.

Variations on a theme...

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Maybe of interest regarding the surveillance wire trigger

Attachments

• Sur mode.jpg
    Sur mode.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,061

Johnwantsmore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV redline
thanks for this great write up everyone.
I just finished installing a 2 channel thinkware front and rear camera and used this to hard wire it up. Worked a treat