Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dewy1098

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore Station Wagon
I have a VF Commodore Exoke station wagon. I installed a dash cam recently and believe I have damaged a control module in the car.
The left headlight low beam no longer works, the left front indicator and left front guard indicator no longer work, the rear left tail light no longer works but the stop light does work and the rear right tail light works, but the stop light does not work. All of these problems occurred all at once. The car has been scanned but could not clear the faults.
My questions are: Does anyone know which control module I might have damaged? Where it is located? and can it be replaced by a 2nd hand unit from a wrecker with out the need to write data to the new (2nd hand) module?
Thank you for any advise you can provide.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i would start with checking the fuses

Dewy1098

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have checked every fuse in the dash, engine bay and rear fuse panel next to the battery - All OK!

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Exactly what did you do to the car during the install?
Ie, what did you cut, remove, screw, splice etc and where?
Have you tried reversing the install to see if it fixes the fault?

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
^^ As above, did you uninstall and put it back to factory to check whether it is the dash cam?

It would be quite unusual for the dash cam to cause those problems as it draws low power and generally people would be using the DOC Connector which has its own fuse.

Dewy1098

Reaction score
Members Ride
The camera is not causing the fault, it is hooked into a blank fuse holder with a fuse extender. I did try removing it but as I suspected it is not the cause of my current/still visible faults. I think I may have shorted out the control module when I was checking for voltages in the dashboard fuse box with a multimeter.
the only other thing I did was run the rear camera cable through the grommet from the car through to the tail gate. Other than the number plate lights (still working) no other lighting cables are present in this grommet. I have pulled the grommet back and cannot see any damaged cables. Everything in the tailgate system works correctly, ie demister, wiper, reverse camera etc.
I don’t understand how this has happened, but this is pretty much the whole story.

Last edited:

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Where did you earth the camera?
What trouble codes are present?

Dewy1098

Reaction score
Members Ride
I earthed the camera to the chassis where the plastic dash screws to the chassis at the fuse box. It will have nothing to do with the external lighting issues, no other wires are present where I attached the camera earth.
Unfortunately I don’t know what the codes are, but on the dash I get warning lights to check the brake lights, turn signal, left headlight dipped.

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Are the bulbs blown?
Swap the bulbs over and check.